Learning curve

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiler99

Established Member
Reaction score
Well today ( yes xmas morning :roll: ) i was in the workshop and did some more work on my 1st real project. As in real, i mean something built from scratch and not shelves or hanging doors around the house.
What a learning curve it is but enjoyable.
I am learning there is an order to working, ie: drawings, measurements, choosing wood, sizing etc. Of course things are learnt by making mistakes and then trying to rectify the mistake or realising you must start again.
I am learning about joints and tear out when using a router. I am learning about not forcing the router :oops: ( 2 cutters in 24 hours)
I have learned about snipe on the thicknesser and how to lessen it, i must try putting another piece of timber behind it as it passes through as i hear that works.
I learnt that it pays to set machines up correctly and found my Jointers blades were 1mm higher than the outfeed table. Now corrected after reading up on the subject.
I learnt machines aren't the only tools in the workshop.
I am so glad i have a few chisels and a small rebate plane.
My mortice machine is my best friend today and really wouldn't fancy attempting it by hand just yet.
I also have leant the importance of safety glasses and hearing protection.
Lessons learned are good things. :)
Happy Christmas

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who escaped to the workshop on xmas day :)

I'm also extremely pleased that one of the things you learned didn't involve personal injury in the process. Just wait till you learn what kickback is :shock: OUCH! Stand clear!!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas.

Martin.

I agree we all learn by mistakes and as long as the mistake isn't a fatal one we can learn from it and improve. No matter if you are a complete novice or a hardened veteran we still make mistakes and learn how to deal with them. Improvement only comes from practice. :wink:

my missus wouldnt let me get into the workshop on xmas day :cry:
in fact im pushing my luck on the computer :lol:

i used to go shooting at the range on xmas day , that seems to have gone to the wind now ,cant fire the larger calibers since my back operation :cry:

mel and john":197v6fe3 said:
my missus wouldnt let me get into the workshop on xmas day :cry:
in fact im pushing my luck on the computer :lol:

i used to go shooting at the range on xmas day , that seems to have gone to the wind now ,cant fire the larger calibers since my back operation :cry:
Is your swmbo related to mine? Sisters perhaps :D I never even bothered/dared mention anything to do with woodwork, although I did turn the puter on I didn't go online, I must be owed some brownie point.... :lol:

Those of us who want to learn, will learn. Those of us who don't want to learn, will learn in the end (but one hopes not to painfully).

With any projects its worth keeping a notebook handy. As you go over each part of the project in your mind, some idea will occur that can be written down and reviewed at a later date.

Latest posts

Back