Laurel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodPecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I got some Laurel at the weekend, it had been cut for fire wood, but I got 7 pieces which are about 12" long and about 8" diameter, it was from a pretty big bush which was donkeys old. I figure they would do for lamps. The timber seems extreamly dense, it's very heavy anyway, anyone ever turned any?

Adrian
If it was freshly cut, paint the ends with PVA/old paint/anything to stop moisture loss.

It's very plain but usually close grained

If it was freshly cut, paint the ends with PVA/old paint/anything to stop moisture loss.

Hi Graham,

It was cut last summer and put in an old stone shed for storage, the pieces don't have any shakes, I'll paint the ends as suggested. How long would it take to dry to a point where it can be turned and remain stable?

How long would it take to dry to a point where it can be turned and remain stable?

Back to the proverbial length of a piece of string :lol:

A simple way is to weigh it, bring it indoors and check the weight daily (I'm never that meticulous :oops: ) when the weight is constant over a week or so, it will have the same moisture content as indoors.

Wherever you store it it the moisture content will eventually will equalise with the ambient moisture level.

I've had some success with small wet pieces... pop 'em into a placcy bag in the airing cupboard... weighed of course and monitor ... open and close the bag every couple of days until you have constant weight.

Can the cyanide that is in the leaves of laurel get into the wood?

Don't know :oops:

Try some of the wood / HSE sites for toxicity info.
Botanical name: Aucuba japonica (Common Laurel)

Can the cyanide that is in the leaves of laurel get into the wood?

I would recommend that you don't eat either the finished article or the shavings :shock: , they are unlikely to taste good.

Basic info on cyanides here

I have no idea if the cyanides might be in a volatile form, but if you feel any of the symptoms comming on go outside for a bit of fresh air.

Cheers,

Dod

Latest posts

Back