Lathe upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maurice D

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the types of lathes that people on the forum use because I have been considering upgrading my lathe. Approx 12 months ago I bought a Record DML24X Mk2 off Ebay (travelling from Birmingham to Bournemouth, must be mad).
Because of the short bed length I kept banging my elbow so I bought from Record the DML36SH swivel headstock and the cam lock tool rest. I like the upgraded lathe, but the bowl turning size is a little small so I thought I might splash out a little. (the boss said only a little)
What I don’t understand is why the price of a new DML36SH without a stand or variable speed is approx the same price as lathes such as the AWVSL900/1000, supplied by Axminster, with variable speed control and a substantial stand.
I am only a hobbyist and don’t need all the bells and whistles but I thought it would make life easier if I didn’t have to change the pulley on the Record all the time.
As a newbie to the world of lathes, am I missing something obvious?

Some would argue that there's a quality difference due to the Chiwanese sourcing, although with present thinking (and Record now sourcing East too) for the important bits it seems to be in Axminster's favour!

The finish it not too hot on the AVWSL range imho, but you certainly get a lot more bang for your buck, and those bits are easily (and cheaply)upgradable at your leisure.

A great customer service rep with Axminster eases the worry about mass produced quality too...

Back