Lathe Tool Storage Rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those using magnetic racks- how do you find sharpening magnetised gouges? I got one magnetised by mistake and now it gets a fur of filings when I grind it. Not sur I would want this on all my tools.

This isn't a wild West movie where you life depends in how fast you can pull your gouge from its holster. A pace or two to a wall rack or a bend down to a bench rack won't make much difference. Keep it simple.

About 5 years ago I replaced my Jet mini lathe with a Nova Saturn, and then built a cabinet underneath it for storing biscuits, Domino, sand paper, etc ...

Lathe1.jpg

Storage for the main lathe chisels is in sliding holders on each side of the cabinet ...

Lathe2.jpg

Lathe3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Similar to some earlier posts, I employ the trolley method. I have a window behind my lathe and wouldn't want to be leaning over for tools anyway, so I got a trolley with shelves (these hold various items of hardware) and attached wood to the top (for the Pro Edge) and back and sides for the tools. I keep this to my left when turning, so no shavings get in, and have the tools to hand. The proximity of the Pro Edge also encourages me to keep the tools sharp!
16598236315373080736517759921816.jpg

Here's my set up. It's positioned away from the line of fire of chips and dust so I don't have any big problem with that.
I've got something like this, only I mounted the bottom to roller skate wheels so the whole thing could be taken off the wall and wheeled back into a little slot by my bench.

Hi All,
Been reading with interest as I am wrestling with a similar issue. However being a relative novice to turning I have what I think is a pertinent question if I may. How many turning tools (chisels, gouges, parting tools etc.) woud be considered normal? I have about 12 at the moment, and want to design my storage for expansion, i.e. the end game. So what would be a reasonable number of tools I could reasonably expect to end up with for general turning. Anyone have a view on that please?

This is my system of tool storage it rotates is only 12 inches In diameter and hold’s 16 tools and takes up very little bench space I also now know what to get rid of as we all most probably have more tools than we need?

Before I saw this thread...........
I started to make a Lazy Susan last week for my lathe tools. Just working on the layout at the moment.
I might make a rack like Fezman shows above............ so many decisions = my head is spinning :unsure:

I have mine on the wall behind the lathe I pull down what I need and rest them under the lathe. As I stop the lathe on many occasions to inspect the work if I decide I need another tool that is when a retrieve the tool. That way I never need to reach across a spinning lathe for another tool.
Trolley storage is a good idea if you have the space for one to be stored when not in use or even have it beside you when turning. Like many it all depends on the shed size available space be it wall space or somewhere for a trolley you need to glean what you can from a thread like this and decide which is best for you

Hi All,
Been reading with interest as I am wrestling with a similar issue. However being a relative novice to turning I have what I think is a pertinent question if I may. How many turning tools (chisels, gouges, parting tools etc.) woud be considered normal? I have about 12 at the moment, and want to design my storage for expansion, i.e. the end game. So what would be a reasonable number of tools I could reasonably expect to end up with for general turning. Anyone have a view on that please?
Almost impossible to say. Some (coughs quietly), are tool collectors and end up with more than we need.

Others are sensible and just buy a actually needed.

It really depends if you find you like one type of turning, or want to try lots of different things - eg spindle, bowl, hollow form, coring thread chasing, decorating, embellishing, pyrography, the list goes on.... if so, get ready to re mortgage!!

I had the very issue when I recently purchase a lathe from ebay that came with numerous accessories. I have no real wall space as I have wall cupboards on most of the wall. I took the decision to make a portable rack, that would basically act like the wall, and provide me plenty of space to hang stuff. Made it mainly from sheet I had around me.
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Bottom three Chuck Jaw Carriers are also small draws (if doing them again they would be deeper).

Almost impossible to say. Some (coughs quietly), are tool collectors and end up with more than we need.

Others are sensible and just buy a actually needed.

It really depends if you find you like one type of turning, or want to try lots of different things - eg spindle, bowl, hollow form, coring thread chasing, decorating, embellishing, pyrography, the list goes on.... if so, get ready to re mortgage!!
Many thanks.

Quick question for the forum. I want to install some wall mounted tool racks for lathe tools, not chucks but just the normal handled tools like skews and gouges.

This will be fairly close to the lathe, so I don't want anything with shelves that will get buried in dust and shavings.

That might imply a magnetic tool rack, but I've yet to find magnetic racks strong enough for heavier tools.

Anyone got any photos/links/suggestions? Could be either magnetic (if you've found a good system) or non magnetic, but something that's easy to access yet secure, and will tend to shed shavings.

Thanks.

Quick question for the forum. I want to install some wall mounted tool racks for lathe tools, not chucks but just the normal handled tools like skews and gouges.

This will be fairly close to the lathe, so I don't want anything with shelves that will get buried in dust and shavings.

That might imply a magnetic tool rack, but I've yet to find magnetic racks strong enough for heavier tools.

Anyone got any photos/links/suggestions? Could be either magnetic (if you've found a good system) or non magnetic, but something that's easy to access yet secure, and will tend to shed shavings.

Thanks.
Sorry but I can’t seem to upload a photo of my tool storage. I use magnetic strips to hold the metal part of tools with the handle resting on a wooden batten. All the tools are with in easy reach.

This is my rack before I attached to wall. Some shavings do get caught but they can be brushed or blown off pretty easily. I am wary of magnets because magnetised gouges can attract filings during sharpening.

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_130504634.jpg
    IMG_20200131_130504634.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 0
I found that plastic pipe and hotglue works for tool storage. chuck jaws, sandpaper etc ended up on a shelf.

Attachments

• toolrack.jpg
    toolrack.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 0
Back