Lathe suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks I am looking for some wood turning lathe advice

First and for mostly have no experience of wood turning but I do have experience in carpentry

I have not got much room in my workshop and only intend to turn small stuff like , shaker style cloths pegs and some handles for cabinets that I make every now and then.

What lathe would you suggest I get and what kit would I also need?

Do not want to break the bank on this as I wont really be getting that much use out of it, but at the same time don't want get something that's not fit for purpose.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to steer me in the right direction.

John

John
I bought a Draper lathe years ago. I was never going to do bowls or anything like that. Legs and small handles etc. Pretty much that all I've done. But I've done loads of legs on it. I don't recall it being more that £100-200. Looking at Draper now, they have nothing like the workhorse i bought. SIP look likes what i have. As an entry level i suggest your looking at something like this at £100-200. Maybe ebay may have some interesting stuff.

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-1-metre-wood ... 01488.html

I have a jet mini that I use for demos and small stuff and it is a robust lathe that will do all I ask of it. There are other better ones but you will be looking at much bigger price tags. Can't speak on the sips and the like but personally I would be a bit wary of any new lathe at that sort of price. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately very few mini lathes come up on the 2nd hand market either.

Pete

I am also looking at a hobby lathe. The Record Power DLM305 looks very interesting, and there's a Hobbymat MD 150 on the used market here, with the original tools. Anyone ever heard of the hobbymat range, an older east german brand...

If you really are only going to turn small stuff then if you can find a second-hand blue Record RPML300 (also mentioned above by Jim) you won't be disappointed. They were one of the last real Records, still all made in this country, before Irwin got involved, much of the manufacturing moved abroad and quality suffered. I've had one for many, many years and it's never given the slightest trouble. It's whisper quiet and tough as old boots.

johnfarris":3vslfdvj said:
Hello folks I am looking for some wood turning lathe advice
If a S.I.P Would suit you, and I'm sure it would, I have a brand new one, very cheap £60 but no offers. Can you collect from Shropshire? 01952790153. dontheturner.
First and for mostly have no experience of wood turning but I do have experience in carpentry

I have not got much room in my workshop and only intend to turn small stuff like , shaker style cloths pegs and some handles for cabinets that I make every now and then.

What lathe would you suggest I get and what kit would I also need?

Do not want to break the bank on this as I wont really be getting that much use out of it, but at the same time don't want get something that's not fit for purpose.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to steer me in the right direction.

John

I have a Record DML - it's basic but decently built and does what I need it to very well. I look at people with big powerful lathes wih a certain amount of envy but the DMLs are often pretty cheap second hand and seem like good workman-like lathes. I was lucky enough to get one with a swivel head and bowl rest which is handy but if you're really only looking at turning smaller stuff that's probably a luxury you can do without. They come with 24" or 36" bars so you have some flexibility with balancing space taken up against length of spindle. I paid £100 for a 36" with the swivel head and rest (and a couple of gouges) off ebay (and then had to pay the same again for a new chuck!)
Hope you find something which does the job within your budget :)

RogerP":12yyenf2 said:
If you really are only going to turn small stuff then if you can find a second-hand blue Record RPML300 (also mentioned above by Jim) you won't be disappointed. They were one of the last real Records, still all made in this country, before Irwin got involved, much of the manufacturing moved abroad and quality suffered. I've had one for many, many years and it's never given the slightest trouble. It's whisper quiet and tough as old boots.
I used mine for years putting new bearings in once. I also rigged up an extension so I could turn some chair legs etc.
It's now waiting for my son to pick up for his go at it.

Latest posts

Back