Lathe rest not smooth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittonc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am finding that when running my gouge along the tool rest it seems to 'stick' and not allow a smooth pass. I've tried gently rubbing with high grit sandpaper and applying wax but it doesn't seem to really solve the problem. Is there anything I can apply to the rest that will help?

Thanks.

Yes, I always clean them after use. I also make sure the rest and all tools are moved or covered up when applying any finish.

Try putting a straight edge on top to check it’s straight and flat. If it’s a cast iron type rest then you can use a fine file to clean and straighten it. Rubbing your finger along the top should be dead smooth.

I use a belt sander to smooth out all the dings on my tool rest.

At a demo some years back the demonstrator rubbed a bar of soap along the rest, I have tried this and it works but find the belt sander works ok for me.

If it's cast iron, make a scratch stock, hollow it along its length and epoxy a piece of hss rod to it. Ignore the clutter.:)
unnamed (1).jpg

Yep, mine was pretty rough from new. File followed by emery, always going along not across the rest and always filing the full length on each stroke. Any fine lines are then the way the tool travels. I then run a beeswax block along, barely a touch but it helps.

Is the sticking due to roughness, dents etc. (in which case dress the top edge) or is it due to the tool being magnetised? Sometimes that can cause the tool to drag when you don't want it to.

It does feel more like it catches, so I think it's the rest. It's a standard record power rest so I don't know what they are like out the box. I've only used the lathe for maybe 20 hours so far. I also have a curved rest which is powder coated. That isn't overly smooth either.

Mine was record power cast iron, see above. Maybe run your finger over it very lightly, you should be able to feel any sticking points.

Hi all,

I am finding that when running my gouge along the tool rest it seems to 'stick' and not allow a smooth pass. I've tried gently rubbing with high grit sandpaper and applying wax but it doesn't seem to really solve the problem. Is there anything I can apply to the rest that will help?

Thanks.
Hi! Try Axminster's 'Machine Polish' on both your gouges and the lathe parts. Excellent results this end!

It is cheap Chinese hss rod, 5mm iirc, epoxied in. The scratch stock was made of a very small offcut of hss ground to a radius the same as the bar and two bits of scrap wood, one to hold the piece of steel (knocked through a slightly smaller hole) and the other piece as a fence. Cast iron is quite easy to scrape, and you can design the scratch stock to suit the form of the rest. It feels totally different in use. It's a copy of -
https://www.axminstertools.com/robust-comfort-tool-rests-ax1035329

Do you have a magnetic tool holder? Very often these make the tool magnetic also. It may be this that is making it stick?
I know I have experienced this.

I rub bees wax on my lathe bed and tool rest to help things glide better. Also helps reduce corrosion.

Back