Lathe for sale, Pics added

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narrowboater

Established Member
Reaction score
I have finally done the deed and my new toy arrives next week, so my lathe is for sale.

It is a Thyme Avon, 36" between centres, and about 11 1/2" over the bed, but it has a swiveling headstock and an outrigger for the tool rest which is 9 3/4" long. The lathe is mounted on a steel bed, and has 4 speeds changed via the drive pulley.

It will come with a drive centre, live tail stock centre, and a face plate. I realise that I am not going to get much for it, but it will make a great starter lathe.

It came with a chuck which I will include, I am sure that some research will enable it to be used but I have no instructions, there appear to be enough parts to make an engine out of???

I will take some pics tomorrow and add them, I will accept any reasonable offer, buyer collects from South of Leicester.

If anyone can identify the chuck and knows where I can get Instructions I would be grateful.

If you are interested, I will consider any reasonable offers.
IMG_8034.jpg

IMG_8032.jpg

IMG_8030.jpg

Regards
Rod

No connection with the OP, but I had a Tyme Avon for many years and would recommend it wholeheartedly as a reliable, and relatively versatile machine. I only sold mine to satisfy my long-term hankering for the Mystro :oops: .
Fortunately managed to get quite a good price for it, and the purchaser also seems happy, so good luck, OP!

Must admit I'd rather have one of these over any of the modern machines that sell for £500 or under. Solid, reliable like tractors. Brilliant starter machine though with the bowl extension you can do pretty big stuff as well as long as it is on a solid base.

Pete

RILEY":31kvgjj2 said:
What are the taper sizes and spindle thread please?

Adam.

Spindle size is 25mm x 2mm and the taper on head and tail is 2. I use a supernova on mine and the insert is readily available.

Pete

Many thanks for the help and comments chaps.

More info on Tyme lathes at

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/althea/tymelathes.htm

dickm, thanks for the comments, pm sent.

Riley, Bodrighy is dead right, see the link above, I use an Axminster super precision chuck, and have had to get a new backing plate for my new lathe, so if you want to go down that route you can have my old backing plate.

RE the backing plate, does that just screw onto the back of the precision chuck? I have a k10, but cannot remember (it's been a while since I've used the lathe) how it works.
Do you have a ballpark figure in mind?

Adam.

The chuck is indeed a PCC2000, thanks flh, and Craft Supplies have kindly e-mailed me a copy of the instructions, so the lathe now comes with a working chuck!!!!!

regards
Rod

Back