Lathe: Bolt down or Rubber Feet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Its time to make a new stand for my lathe to replace the temporary 4"x2" and kitchen worktop I've been using. Since I've had the lathe, I've only used the rubber adjustable feet. Would it be better to bolt it down when I make the new stand?
The lathe is a KS Midi (similar to the Axminster AT350) so has a capacity of about 14" and weighs somewhere in the region of 43kg. At first it was small projects, but I've recently started turning bigger items and it highlighted I need a better stand.

rather than bolt down, I’d suggest building some weight into the new stand. I’ve seen a stand that had a box for a knee height shelf that encased some heavy breeze blocks. Gave some real mass to the set up that helped massively + only lost 6” in under lathe storage space.

Thanks Simon. I was planning on making a compartment near the bottom so I can add some weight. Good advice, appreciated.

A box with oil/sand mix is ideal if you can as it adds weight and dampens vibrations, or like me get a VB36 at 350kg it doesnt move much!!!!!!

Bolt the lathe to the stand and add weight to the stand. A stand that doesn't go anywhere is useless if the lathe on it is bouncing across the top.

Pete

Only thing I would say is make sure when you bolt the lathe to the bench it is straight and level. If you inadvertently introduce any twist into the bed it will cause you problems. Use shims if necessary to pack it. Not going to be as critical as it would be with a metal working lathe, but you still want to get it as good as you can. Same goes for the bench. I would set it up without the extra weight first, make sure it's nice and level by packing under the legs as necessary, then add your weight, and check it again.

It is interesting that people are adding weight to benches. I have a shelf between the stretchers on my work bench that has three bags of sand on it. There is another shelf on top of the stretchers so you can’t see the bags. I must remember to remove them if I move the bench...

Back