Lathe Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think mine's about 600mm, it's planks secured to an old fire door on a home made base, but I'm tall.

You want what's comfortable to you, don't make it so deep that you end up tempted to stretch over the lathe to pick up a tool that's rolled for example.

I have an air filter on the bench against the wall, reducing it's width at the lathe to about 500mm and find it about perfect.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

nicguthrie":3c89wud4 said:
I think mine's about 600mm, it's planks secured to an old fire door on a home made base, but I'm tall.

You want what's comfortable to you, don't make it so deep that you end up tempted to stretch over the lathe to pick up a tool that's rolled for example.

I have an air filter on the bench against the wall, reducing it's width at the lathe to about 500mm and find it about perfect.

sorry to steal thread

when you say air filter...please explain
got me thinking i should put my jet 500 behind lathe when i rebuild
maybe a steel mesh to stop big lumps hitting it

Steve

It's one of these (the MC 760) - http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Health___Safety/Dust_Extraction/Microclene/microclene.html

Surprisingly effective, made to be against a wall as it vents to the rear corners, and with an optional active carbon filter on the front, it helps clear the air faster for when I finally take off my face mask, as well as helping to reduce fumes from solvents and sanding sealers pretty well for it's size.

I love the thing, use it all the time. Helps catch the dust that my main extractor misses as it's too high speed off the lathe.

mine is the bed width- 200mm from memory. serves the purpose well, and not too many areas for shavings to collect.

Only reason I built such a large bench is that I've only a 10' x 10' workshop, so I move the filter aside, shove my lathe against the wall, and it's also my main workbench. ;)

Back