Lathe 4 Jaw Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sealover1

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys I was wanting to buy a cheap 4 jaw chuck for my Clarke lathe (37" model CWL12D) but not sure what fits what. I see a lot of clarkes lathes look pretty much the same but do the parts like this fit on other models of clarks like would the 40" stuff fit the 37" stuff ?

seen them going cheap enough for £10-£20 used but not sure if they will fit my model of not

does anyone know about these please?

theres this one here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLARKE-4-JAW- ... 3aaa2f0ef7

or this one here who said he would sell the chuck on its own for a tenner

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wood-turning- ... 1657642068?

or has it got to be for my exact model only?? I have emailed clarks but they have yet to reply to me so will keep that in mind should I ever wish to upgrade ;)

The most important thing to establish first is the thread size of the headstock spindle, you then have a wide choice of makes and models of chucks that will fit.
Dave

The cwl12d is 3/4 x 16tpi for sure, i owned one. DO NOT buy the chuck you linked to, i had one straight from machine mart and it was rubbish.

IHc1vtr+":3oxx1oaz said:
The cwl12d is 3/4 x 16tpi for sure, i owned one. DO NOT buy the chuck you linked to, i had one straight from machine mart and it was rubbish.

I linked to two which one you saying about?

what was wrong with the one from machine mart??

Both the ones you linked to are independent chucks in that all the jaws are opened/closed independently from each other.
What you need is a scroll chuck where the jaws all move at the same time thus centering any object automatically. I've never heard of anyone using an independent chuck for wood turning, I had one thrown in with my first lathe (secondhand) and it was just a pointless piece of ballast.
If you want a low priced scroll chuck then have a look at rutlands. But expect to pay a lot more than £10.

sealover1":ugybcz08 said:
IHc1vtr+":ugybcz08 said:

I linked to two which one you saying about?

what was wrong with the one from machine mart??

You need something along these lines, I have the record power "nova" chuck, "not listed" ordered from their website.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... k&_sacat=0

The Clarke chuck from machine mart would have been better used as a doorstop, Didn't run true and when you tightened jaw's the jaw bolts moved making it hard to undo again.

NickWelford":3oa5ga48 said:
The point is, you are looking at engineering chucks for metal turning lathes, not wood turning chucks.

its hard to tell the diff if you don't know what your looking at I'm not desperate for one but if one comes up cheap enough...

no will have to wait till a cheap one comes up only paid 60 quid for the lathe. cash is so tight at the moment will just have to make do for now

sealover1":3k4mzkul said:
NickWelford":3k4mzkul said:
The point is, you are looking at engineering chucks for metal turning lathes, not wood turning chucks.

its hard to tell the diff if you don't know what your looking at I'm not desperate for one but if one comes up cheap enough...

I suggest that if you can't visit a supplier of the two different styles of chucks to study at close hand that you spend a little time studying the difference on the various suppliers web sites.

For instance Axminster:-
Wood Turning Chucks
Metal Turning Chucks

Whatever you do, do not attempt to use chuck jaws designed to clamp metal to hold wood pieces for normal wood turning processes, doing so will result in the wood flying out of the chuck as soon as you take any cut that applies a significant load on the wood.

CHJ":1vqm18o5 said:
sealover1":1vqm18o5 said:
NickWelford":1vqm18o5 said:

I suggest that if you can't visit a supplier of the two different styles of chucks to study at close hand that you spend a little time studying the difference on the various suppliers web sites.

For instance Axminster:-
Wood Turning Chucks
Metal Turning Chucks

Whatever you do, do not attempt to use chuck jaws designed to clamp metal to hold wood pieces for normal wood turning processes, doing so will result in the wood flying out of the chuck as soon as you take any cut that applies a significant load on the wood.

thanks for that will have a look and learn. never knew there's so many diff types and diff threads its a bit of a mine field if your new like me

Back