Latest hand plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't do a WIP for this as I have done that exhaustively for my last 2 infills.
But I had a bronze casting plane which I acquired a couple of years ago which I always wanted ti do up properly. It had a nasty wooden infill which looked awful although interestingly it came with a 2" Norris iron and cap iron.
So I cleaned up the casting, made infills out of the same weeping beech I have made other infills from, cleaned up the lever cap etc. The only thing I did new was carved my 'symbol' in the brass laver cap - which came out well - I bought some graves off eBay for a tenner and they are quite good once sharpened.
Photos below including shot of all 3 of my infills I have made
IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Cheers Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,157
That's a stunner!

I'll likely never do anything like this but out of curiosity do you have an estimate of how long the work took in total?

Thanks for your kind comments
I think this one was a couple of hours to sort out the casting and polish it, maybe 10 hours or so to do the infills, a couple to engrave the lever cap, maybe 3 to make the adjuster which is a single screw, 5/16" 40tpi made from an old bolt and with the retaining ring cut from 3/4" steel pipe.... so I would say maybe 20 hours or so - oh but then at least another 14 hours to sharpen the Norris iron ;)
Thanks again
Mark

My first response was "F... wow" - my next, "just,.. wow". The way you talk about the time makes it sound almost trivial, but the results are just amazing. You, RXH, Jimi you all make it look so effortless, oh and Pete's shoulder planes too, small but perfectly formed, I take my many hats off to all of you.

Latest posts

Back