Latest Acquisition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
Returning form London yesterday passed an antique shop in Westram which looked interesting so turned round and had a look. This is what I found, not what I was looking for but gained my attention especially the price of £8.
DSCN5060.JPG

Looked it up on the internet which stated sold by Record as one the first planes in their range first launched 1931 second hand value £15 to £40.

They stopped making them in 1982. One sold on ebay recently for £34.47 and there is one going now with 2 bids at £1.64.
The blade of mine is chipped but will grind out. I have no idea how to date the plane accurately?

Thanks Scouse, I have bookmarked the webpage you kindly gave me, I dont know why this did not come up when I googled Record planes?
Post War, pre 1962 going by the box.
How can you tell its 1962 by the box? The website showed up another plane I boughy 20 years ago in Bournmouth at a jumble sale we only went in to shelter from the rain paid 50p for it. I thought the handle was home made yor info shows it was by the manufacturer. I feel good about that as it has been a useful tool.

DSCN5061.JPG

Hi Mike, almost at the bottom of this page http://www.recordhandplanes.com/dating.html there's a section describing the different boxes used; as ever with type studies there is always the possibility of factories overlapping some aspects of production and packaging just to fox us in the future from being able to tell how old stuff is! Having said that the Record site is generally fairly accurate.

As to the Stanley 78 in the picture, I suspect the knob has been added by a previous user; although WS, Woden and Record had front wooden knobs on their 78/778 planes, Stanley did not or at least I've never seen one... scroll down to #78 here http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm for Stanley specs on that plane.

El.

Although WS and Woden had them, Record didn't produce or fit handles to their #078/#778's (Stanley also didn't fit them to their #78's), but it's well worthwhile considering such an addition. :)

Thank you again El Gary, I have to say when rebating stock the addition of the handle does improve the performance but if out on site when adjusting a rebate in an existing frame I use my other plane which allows me to get tight into the corners. grateful for the info.

Latest posts

Back