Last chance to see Vulcan XH588 fly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure there are many stories about Vulcans.
My own. Soon after the M62 was built I was travelling, late afternoon, towards HUll. As I crossed the A1 I became aware of a very heavy vehicle somewhere near me. Just then a Vulcan flew overhead, near enough to see the rivets, Fantastic. The whole car shook and I was up in the clouds somewhere,Tremendous. I later learnt that they often flew down the A1 and turned left, at the M62, for Finningley, or Lindholme.
As a lad I lived on the flight path of one of those aerodromes. The open days were great for the planes visible, but always the Vulcan was the best. That and the Lancaster of course.
xy

saw one many years ago and its the sound that still rings in my ears! almost as loud as my Harley lol

I remember seeing one flying up the East Coast when I was a child - maybe on it's was to Sunderland Air Show or Teesside. Remember seeing the static one at Blackpool Airport when I lived in Blackpool. Remember riding London-Edinburgh-London in 2009, travelling south on day 4, after about 1000km, raining on the Vale of York. Crossed a main road then down a lane, heard a very load jet engine noise, passed the bushes to the entrance of Elvington and there was a Vulcan taxiing on the runway, magical. Recommend the book Vulcan 607 about the bombing raid on Port Stanley in 1982

I'm sure there's lots of photos out there, but these are my own, taken at RAF Luqa, Malta in 1976 :)
78 - Vulcan.JPG

79 - Vulcan.JPG

Attachments

• 78 - Vulcan.JPG
    78 - Vulcan.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 79 - Vulcan.JPG
    79 - Vulcan.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,383
In 1990, the Vulcan was part of a flyby over my school as we celebrated its tercentenary. I don't remember the other two planes- perhaps a Tornado?- but I loved seeing the Vulcan.

The three sisters at RAF Marham last year, again not the best pictures but a great sight.

IMG_1708a_zpsfytkgfep.jpg

IMG_1712a_zpsybegzmzu.jpg

IMG_1722a_zpsjcnqe0p3.jpg

Yup, got tickets for RIAT on the 19th. My wife's uncle was a Vulcan pilot and she has never seen one so we are looking forward to it.

Some nice photos there Alex and jpt - it's always breathtaking to seem them low and slow. For general OMG-how-is-that not-falling-out-of-the-sky-ness it's rivalled by the B52s I've seen around Nellis AFB outside Las Vegas - but the Vulcan wins by a country mile in terms of looks - Shagadelic baby!

I wouldn't like to think what age I was when I became more interested in Domino than the aircraft in Thunderball...

Claudine_Auger.jpg

I live not far from Waddington and Newark Air Museum and it was in the vicinity Friday, flew right over my house, very impressive!

I live in the next village to, and work in, Elvington. The past few weeks has seen it fly over 4 times and last Thursday treated us to a full 20 minute display. The entire industrial estate was out in their carparks looking to the sky.
Absolutely awesome to watch, and although I'm too young to have been around for when they were in use (Born '87) I still love seeing stuff like this.

Added a photo of the week before last when it was out, and knowing where I live in relation to where its home is, knew it would fly overhead. Sadly not the best pic but I'm aiming for more.

Attachments

• Vul1.jpg
    Vul1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,148
KevM":3sej02jd said:
I wouldn't like to think what age I was when I became more interested in Domino than the aircraft in Thunderball
Sorry, what's that photo got to with Festool ?

-Matt-":1h48rj8m said:
I live in the next village to, and work in, Elvington. The past few weeks has seen it fly over 4 times and last Thursday treated us to a full 20 minute display. The entire industrial estate was out in their carparks looking to the sky.
Absolutely awesome to watch, and although I'm too young to have been around for when they were in use (Born '87) I still love seeing stuff like this.

Added a photo of the week before last when it was out, and knowing where I live in relation to where its home is, knew it would fly overhead. Sadly not the best pic but I'm aiming for more.

I'm not jealous. Really. I'm really not jealous. Not at all. No way.

Well, maybe just a little. Ok - a lot !!!

I live in fairford about a mile away from RAF FAirford and have managed to get some paddock tickets from a friend for free, haven't been in 8 years so looking forward to it.

Went to Throckmorton yesterday with SWMBO who has never been to an air display as far as we can recall. Now that the Vulcan has more 'engine cycles' to spare, they have improved the display and treated us to a couple of Vulcan Howls and full-on maximum thrust climb. Absolutely awesome and this old fart admits to a lump in the throat. SWMBO - who has A1+ hearing - well, the look on her face as the Howl kicked in was something to behold. It's not much that makes her say 'Wow'! She's even admitted to wanting to see it again.

The actual traffic management at Throckmorton was non-existent and got a huge (justified) barrage of criticism on social media. Luckily I used to live round there and knew of a back way in and so while other poor souls sat in a non-moving jam for 2 hours, we were parked up at the show [/smug mode]

-Matt- said:
Absolutely awesome to watch, and although I'm too young to have been around for when they were in use (Born '87)

I last saw a vulcan fly when I was 10, I've just passed my 66th. That memory is still very clear in my mind, I am extremely upset that I cant get to see the last one, but I'm 2000 miles west of it, so I shall have to rely on pictures.

As a side note, when they were rebuilding this, they held a day where they got the kawasaki Vulcan riders association to stage a vulcans under a vulcan day.

sunnybob":3omwsdjt said:
-Matt-":3omwsdjt said:
Absolutely awesome to watch, and although I'm too young to have been around for when they were in use (Born '87)

I last saw a vulcan fly when I was 10, I've just passed my 66th. That memory is still very clear in my mind, I am extremely upset that I cant get to see the last one, but I'm 2000 miles west of it, so I shall have to rely on pictures.

As a side note, when they were rebuilding this, they held a day where they got the kawasaki Vulcan riders association to stage a vulcans under a vulcan day.

Something wrong with your calculator, Bob!! Born '87 and just passed your 66th ? :D

Latest posts

Back