LASER CUTTING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypnosismusic

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Does anyone know of a firm near Manchester that can provide a wood laser cutting service?
Thanks.

sorry cant help
but
it sounds expensive
will be watching this one with interest

:idea:
i can think of only one company that uses this technology
they make cable drums

I can't really help either, but as a point of interest maybe worth noting that in the model aeroplane business kits made in this country when I last checked were CNC router cut out and in the USA laser cut. It may be that this technology has moved over here for that purpose but with the huge increase in the ARTF (almost ready to fly [misnomer]) kits from China at silly money, the kit business has taken a dive.

Cheers Alan

Have you thought about water cutting?

There is a place in Glasgow which does this with great results.

http://www.jetcutit.com/

I went in there to get a piece of 3mm Stainless cut into a sign shape that I designed in Autocad.

Fantastic results, and a great machine to watch working. 8)

Cutting wood with water? Hmmmm forgive me, but I can see a possible flaw in that one. There were actually a couple of firms who've cut veneers and marquetry pieces for me in the past using laser and who laser engraved as well, but at least one firm I had some dealings with (in Norwich) packed in a couple of years back due to lack of demand whilst the other one was in mid Wales and I can't finf d their details at the moment. The only other place I know about is:

Laser Logistics,
Unit 2, Gainsborough Trading Estate,
Rufford Road,
Stourbridge,
West Midlands,
WS10 0NN

Tel. 01384 443409

who offer a "laser cutting service for mild steel, stainless steel and wood up to 10mm", although I've never used them so I can't recommend their service from prrsonal experience. Sorry, don't have a web address, only that reference.

The other people using laser cutting may be found in companies producing wooden clock parts and dolls houses - if you can winkle them out

Hope this is a starter!

Scrit

Several firms doing Laser Cutting for Marquetry and Veneer packs - if that's what you're after?? A few more specifics would help .......

Scrit":c6m5j9nt said:
Cutting wood with water? Hmmmm forgive me, but I can see a possible flaw in that one.
Scrit
You really need to see this machine in action before you judge it Scrit. There is a very fine focused jet of water (which I think has some fine abrasive added to it) which cuts right through the wood from above and then enters a bath about a foot below. The wood doesn't even get wet, it sits on a sort of rubber grass which supports it, but deflects when the jet hits it. Its hard to describe. The jet is extremely fine, but is under huge pressure. It can cut through steel six inches thick with a kerf of only about 0.1mm.

It works really well, and is hard to believe until you see it, but I suppose it would be just as easy to say that you can see a problem laser cutting wood in that it might burn?

The guy has a lot of business with guys wanting custom lettering cut out of wood, although his biggest business is in custom ceramic tiles.

Do yoy know any Design and Technology teachers? Laser machines (up to A2 size) are starting to be introduced into secondary schools - unfortunately not mine yet (still working on it).

With the financial problems schools are facing these days, I'm sure that they'd be willing to cut a few pieces for a very reasonable fee.

Back