Largish bowl WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I took me camera out to the shed today and made a large(for my lathe) spalted Sycamore bowl.

First off I chainsawed up a log into a suitable roundish shape and drilled a hole for my screw chuck.
sycamoreWIP001.jpg

Next I mounted it on the lathe with the screw chuck and brought up the tailstock and then removed the lumps and bumps to get it a bit more in balance.
sycamoreWIP002.jpg

Then I roughed out the basic outer shape, at this point I noticed just how punky the timber was, so oil was applied to lubricate the final very light cuts with sharp a scraper.
sycamoreWIP003.jpg

Due to the punky/soft nature of the timber I decided to not trust the tenon I had left and instead cut a socket for the chuck jaws. Then a quick sanding with the drill using 120,240 and 320 grits.
sycamoreWIP004.jpg

The bowl was then reversed and hollowed out leaving a bit in the middle for support with the tailstock(I really didn't trust this piece of timber :lol: ) The punkyness was even worse inside.
sycamoreWIP005.jpg

The bit in the middle was broken out and after lots of light cuts the soft bits were still tearing out a bit so I resorted to wetting the soft bits with superglue and letting sanding dust from the sandpaper to fill them up.Then it was sanded the same as the outside.
sycamoreWIP006.jpg

Finally it was finished with boiled linseed oil. Its 11" wide 5" tall. I am left with the socket in the base to sort out but it needs to go back on the lathe for a bit of a buffing in the morning after the BLO is dried out.
sycamoreWIP007.jpg

sycamoreWIP008.jpg

sycamoreWIP009.jpg

JT

Plan and simple form, nice figure in the timber, well turned and sits well. I like it. Nice job dealing with some difficult timber.

Ben

It's a 'Good un' johnny, and a good re-iteration on how to maintain good self protection whilst working a less than sound subject.

I never cease to be pleasantly surprised at the potential of a less than perfect piece of wood, useless for any flat world use, to be the source of something agreeable when turned.

I like it. I like it a lot! Well done JT. I have had a lump like that sitting on my lathe since late October waiting for me to be brave enough to turn the lathe back on!

Nice to see a plain simple shaped bowl that lets the wood do the talking. Amazing colouring etc for a piece of sycamore. Excellent perseverance

pete

Thanks for all the replies :D I think a simple clean form is the best way to display wood that looks like this :D

CHJ":24t8x4dq said:
.........and a good re-iteration on how to maintain good self protection whilst working a less than sound subject.

After getting hit in the head before,I have the scar on me forehead to remind me to be carefull :lol: :lol:

wizer":24t8x4dq said:
I have had a lump like that sitting on my lathe since late October waiting for me to be brave enough to turn the lathe back on!

Does this mean you're fit enough to do some turning now? If so get out there and make some shavings!!!

Paul.J":24t8x4dq said:
I also like the colour effect on the lathe

:oops: I have developed a bad habbit of trying colours mixed in the airbrush on it, the poor lathes only crime is to be coloured white :oops:

JT

Very nice Johnny,

Looks to have been a fairly dry log from your shavings ? - So hopefully you wont get much movement. Its a lovely bowl - Lovely figuring.

So you'll be upgrading soon then ? :?:

Cheers Loz, yes the log was dry, it had been split down the pith about a year ago and left in my little log store(a small lean-to bit I stuck on the side of my shed) I was quite surprised how well it had dried in that time.

Loz":3i8f03o3 said:
So you'll be upgrading soon then ?

If only :cry: this lathe is getting quite frustrating with its limitations but alas no spare cash to upgrade :cry: and I need to put my efforts into getting the new workshop done now the weather is improving :roll:

JT

johnny.t.":27byepsy said:
wizer":27byepsy said:
I have had a lump like that sitting on my lathe since late October waiting for me to be brave enough to turn the lathe back on!

Does this mean you're fit enough to do some turning now? If so get out there and make some shavings!!!

Not quite JT, getting there.

Back