Large diameter bearing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Holtham

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest where I can get a large diameter lazy susan type of bearing :?:

I need one about 1 metre in diameter. I have to make a revolving summerhouse for a magazine project and am struggling on this bit. I could make my own from mdf and ball bearings but am concerned about the durability with regard to wear and weather.

Any ideas would be much appreciated so thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Alan :D

PS To all of you who volunteered your workshops for my book project, I am slowly working round them but it is a much bigger project than I thought (what's new!). If you are on my list I shall get to you eventually.

Alan Holtham":1fvstmh4 said:
Can anyone suggest where I can get a large diameter lazy susan type of bearing :?:

I need one about 1 metre in diameter. I have to make a revolving summerhouse for a magazine project and am struggling on this bit. I could make my own from mdf and ball bearings but am concerned about the durability with regard to wear and weather.

Any ideas would be much appreciated so thanks in advance,

Alan,

Why not use a central pivot and 6 or 8 fixed castors mounted on the ground upside down running on a large plywood rim mounted under the joists.

base.jpg
The wheels have to be the fixed variety, also having the wheels near the outside will make if far more stable.

I was going to suggest transfer balls, but i fear in a non maintenance enviroment they wouldnt last unless you went for very expensive ones.
Castors like paul suggested may be a better option.

You can get them, often usen in automatic pallet wrapping machines....i doubt they are cheap!
The ones i have seen consist of an angle ring, which has a series of normal roller bearings attached to sharfts radially, and a second ring that sits over. Then 3/4 bearings running horrizontally to keep the upper ring in place.

As to where from, im sorry, no idea!
:oops:

Have you considered using plastic? UHMWPE http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/UHMWPESheet/ for example has a low coefficient of friction and really good wear properties. There's no danger of rust and you can pick up a 1m square sheet in 6mm for <£100. A little oil would no doubt dramatically improve matters if it wasn't slippy enough too.

I'd buy two 1m square sheets and cut large o-rings, back them with some 18mm ply fixing with brass screws as PE can't really be glued. Some of the remaining PE can then be used to make a guide channel so the two o-rings don't slip off one another.

If you're feeling rich go for oilon (special order in sheets that large) or even PTFE which would let you turn the summer house with one finger.

Hi Alan
Paul's drawing is the best solution - with fixed castors!
It's simple, cheap and reliable - tolerant of dirt and no maintenance
Good luck
Matt

Heavy, observatory domes are usually rotated on fixed castors. OK they run in a track, but it's the same principle as the drawing Paul suggested.

HTH
John :)

Hi Alan,
There is an episode of shedheads on Discovery Shed that show the construction of an outhouse that rotates, I'm sure its run on the principle already shown, they are often repeated and I have a feeling its on the "geo dome" episode if you can find them on the interweb?
Regards Chris.

I've got to ask. Why would you want to do this?

Thanks to all for replies so far. I thought briefly about the transfer ball arrangement myself as they are easily obtainable but am worried that the slightest bit of debris will jam it up. The castor arrangement with their bigger diameter will be less demanding I think, particularly if mounted upside down.
The plastic route is excellent, but too costly for this job I am afraid.

Tom, you need to rotate the summerhouse to follow the sun over the course of the day. Chance would be a fine thing!

Thanks again

Alan

Aha! That made me think of George Bernard Shaw. You can visit his revolving summerhouse.

w-078623-shawscorner-garden-hut-main_picture.jpg

(Info here http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mai...awscorner-garden/w-shawscorner-garden-hut.htm

The National Trust website describes it like this:

The hut is built with castors that fit on a circular track so it could be moved around to improve the light or change the view. Revolving huts were quite fashionable in the early 20th century, and the company that provided this one, Strawson's, is still trading. Many major works were written here.

Googling Strawson's led me to this history of rotating buildings, which has some pictures of what you want, looking just like Paul's drawing:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...gU#v=onepage&q=strawson summer houses&f=false

Back