Land Rovers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
For the moment I've still got my Mini. I had it advertised outside the house, had a few phone calls. Then I discovered someone 'not very nice person' thought it'd be a good idea to run a key along the wing :angry so now theres a short but very deep scratch to get repaired. I plan on getting that done asap and thought I might aswell get the bloke in the shop to fix the rust under the headlights at the same time.

Vehicles rusting and people keying them has made me even more wary of getting another car. I was originally going to go for an older bmw (I still might) but lately I've been thinking of getting something 'rugged' :D something that I can use for work and I won't be overly paranoid about leaving parked up for a while. I'm a joiner and have to carry alot of tools (something the mini is not good at) so I was thinking of getting a pick up.

Just had a better thought. I've seen some decent Series III Land Rovers on auto trader that look ok and fun :D . Just wondered if anyone had owned or drives one, can give any advice on things to look out,etc. I'd prefer a diesel as it'll be a work vehicle (I do a lot of miles for miles).
Thanks

Hi Scooby,

Series LR's are lovely but as an everyday vehicle - a pretty uncomfortable choice I reckon (I haven't progressed technically beyond a Series 1) :lol: .

'Series Landrovers' and 'lots of miles' are not a match made in heaven :lol: . Parabolic springs can give a decent ride, but the std LR 2-1/4 litre diesel is pretty awful - slow noisy and not really that economical. Petrols - don't even go there!.

A 90 or 110 (pre-Defender) would be more sensible for higher mileage work and might be well worth looking for ex MOD examples. They would have been well maintained while in service and probably have undersealed chassis and bulkheads unlike civvie spec.

cheers,

Ike

I use a freelander as my work vehicle, you can get 8x2 sheets inside with the seats folded. Also easy to drive on short or long journeys and quite nippy, I have the 1800cc petrol.

Had mine since they first came out (R Reg), its a bit tatty inside now so I will run it into the ground but will just have a look to see if there are any deals as the new model is due soon. I understand they go very cheaply at auctions.

Jason

Well, ally rots too, especially in salt water spray areas and Series L-Rs are noted for the propensity of the chassis outriggers to rot and for MoT fails on the diesels because they're always pretty marginal on emissions. A mate of mine has fitted a Golf TDi engine to his Series 1 SWB to get round this worry and it's noticeably faster and more frugal than the original.

On the plus side almost everything in the body bolts or screws on so home bodywork/chassis repairs are a realistic proposition and there are loads of people breaking ex-MoD examples so parts shouldn't be too much of a problem, at least on Series 2 and later. But I have to agree with the comments about comfort - having had to endure many long nights and journeys in Series II LWB L-Rs as a part-time recovery op. quite a few years back I'd think twice about driving one for more than 20 miles these days, especially if you're 6ft or over and a bit weak of arm (v. heavy steering and lower back pain).

The biggest plus I'd say is that they can tow a fair old weight on a trailer (over 2 tonnes I believe) and that they will take you almost anywhere - up otherwise impassable muddy farm tracks, no problem.

Now tell us you live io Central London....... :roll:

Scrit

Scrit":1vejez0p said:
Now tell us you live io Central London....... :roll:

Scrit

yeah, of course. I only want one to take the kids to school (whch is 50 yards down the road) :D

Only joking, I'm not from London and I have no children. I just have strange taste in cars (for my age) and really like old cars compared to modern ones. I'd guess the majority of 30 year old blokes consider Prosches, Ferraris as the bees knees. Whereas for me, it's MK II Jag's, Series Land Rovers and older Minis. Out of those 3 the LR is the most practical, even though I'd love a mkII Jag. I've actually done quite a bit of work in places where the old 2wd pick up got bogged down and had to be towed. It would have been useful to have the LR on that occasion. Of course, sod's law says if I get a series LR it'll never see anything apart from tarmac.

My only other thought is to get an old 4wd Hilux pick up (like the one they 'tried' to kill on Top Gear). They can be got pretty cheap and have shown themselves to stand up to serious abuse. Good for sheet material and long timber lengths too. 4wd is overkill, but what the hey :D

scooby":1merqa6m said:
My only other thought is to get an old 4wd Hilux pick up (like the one they 'tried' to kill on Top Gear). They can be got pretty cheap and have shown themselves to stand up to serious abuse. Good for sheet material and long timber lengths too. 4wd is overkill, but what the hey :D
You could aklways try an old Hyundai 4x4 pick-up - that's another vehicle which seems to go on until it dissolves.....

Scrit

scooby":39z0hdfp said:
Of course, sod's law says if I get a series LR it'll never see anything apart from tarmac.

If you do get a 4x4 you should really try it off road, the All Wheel Drive Clubhave off road days suitable for beginners as well as family trials which should be non damaging, usually in an old quarry of on MOD land. I used to have great fun in my little Diahatsu Sportrak, just add a set of mud tires and its amazing what you can do :D :D

Jason

Scooby

I have an N reg short wheelbase van type Defender90 TDi. I have had it since 96 and do not intend to change it. It is very comfortable and excellent for motorway driving. It will carry or tow any weight BUT I do not consider it to be a very good load carrier. The wheel arches take up a lot of room and the door annoyingly only opens to 90 deg. I had a 2CV some years ago and with the seats out, roof and boot door off it could carry large wardrobes!

From a book, these are the load capacities -

Defender 90 hardtop
A single slide in box of -
1030LX1050HX755W

Defender 110 hardtop
1750LX1050HX755W.

Hope that helps.

David

Hi all

Slightly off-topic here. :lol:

I cut down a shrub at the weekend and the roots are horrific. Any idea of where I might find a friendly Landy owner who could pull them out?

Thanks
Neil

Newbie_Neil":2bl1elzg said:
Any idea of where I might find a friendly Landy owner who could pull them out?
Tried a Tirfor winch, Neil?

Scrit

Neil

I believe Blaster Bates (Jelly Baby) had a sure fire way to shift them - so long as you didn't mind the odd bit of "collateral damage" :whistle: But if you have a bit more time there's always glyphosate weedkillers (such as Roundup) to kill the thing off, stop any suckering - then simply leave it to rot out over a few years. Glyphosates generally aren't that harmful to things like aquatic lifeforms I'm told and they yend to biodegrade quite quickly. There's a guy here who reckons you can do it all by hand. Interesting what he says about the use of vehicles ("One of the most common methods of do it yourself tree and shrub stump removal is to hook the stump to a pick up truck and go like crazy......." :roll: )

Scrit

Neil,

I've had success in the past with Root Out. You drill holes in the stump and fill them up with the stuff and it gradually rots the stump and roots. But as Scrit says, it depends how quick you want it out :wink:

Paul

Hi Scrit

Scrit":1co5wav1 said:
I believe Blaster Bates (Jelly Baby) had a sure fire way to shift them - so long as you didn't mind the odd bit of "collateral damage"

ROTFL. :lol: :lol:

Hi Paul

Paul Chapman":1co5wav1 said:
I've had success in the past with Root Out. You drill holes in the stump and fill them up with the stuff and it gradually rots the stump and roots. But as Scrit says, it depends how quick you want it out

I really wanted something a bit quicker as I'd like to plant another shrub.

Cheers
Neil

I remember my Dad many years back when I was still knee high to a grasshopper, blowing up stumps in the garden (it's a very big garden). I later learned it was jelly sticks - he once had a contract to put in a main sewer through rock strata, and used Gelignite. Used to keep it in a wooden box in the garage. Couldn't do anything like that now!

Ike

Latest posts

Back