Lamp re-wiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking to rewire a couple of old table lamps and a floor lamp. All brass / metal.

The floor and newer table lamp have brass bayonet lamp holders with what I think is an earth terminal on the outside and two terminals inside.

Am I correct in thinking that the earth goes into the outside terminal and live and neutral can go in either terminal inside? (not marked live/neutral)

The other table lamp is antique brass & metal and has no lamp holder / cable. Can I fit a similar brass lamp holder as above here and connect as above? Or are there any other steps or considerations?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

basically yes but please make sure that the new lampholder makes correct connection to the main part of the lamp

Yes, metal ones are earthed on the outside. The inside two go either way.
If they are wired now, use the existing wire to pull the new one through - they can be sods to thread the flex through. If you have the option of dropping the flex straight through then feeding it out through the side, screw the lamp holder down before you thread the flex through the side - it saves the twisting of the wiring. If you can only thread it completely in one go, wind the lampholder back a few turns before engaging the thread - again it saves some of the twisting of the wiring.

Back