Lace Making Bobbins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldflyer2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All

I have been asked by a friend to make some lace making bobbins. I have found lots of photos on the net as to what they look like but I can't seem to find any actual measurements.

The person that wants them is just starting and can't tell me much either.

Can anyone help or point me in the proper direction.

I know Graham makes these things but I believe he is away at the moment.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I am sure that Graham is your best bet for guidance on dimensions for particular sizes and differing functions.

His better half does beautiful lace work, and he always has a dozen or so examples around the place to tease you with.

No doubt he will pick up this thread when he returns from France.

Oldflyer2":1sqebj4o said:
Hi Chas

Let's hope Graham doesn't have too good of a time and can't find his way ... again!

Tom

He will be Hot Footing it back I'm sure, he 'was intending' to cross into France/Switzerland from SW Germany area, it was averaging 40 deg C when I was down there last week.

Incidentally if Alf sees this I was staying adjacent to a town called RUST

Hi Tom & Chas
arrived back today 1:30pm... 8 weeks and we're back over there again, it's a hard life but someone has to do it......

Tom, remeber that little one I made for you?

just make yours 12 times bigger :p :p :p

If you can get your hands on a copy of Dave Springett's book on Lace bobbins it has a wealth of info on sizes and styles... I prefer to hold the top end of the bobbin blank in a small chuck, add tailstock support and work from the base of the bobbin upt to the neck and finally the head.
It;s fairly easy to part off the bottom end and then, supporting the bobbin, part off at the head.

More later when we get over the jet lag :shock: :p :p

The travellers return! Sounds like you folks are just having too much fun :lol: I hope there was no problems this time with finding your caravan!

Well, the first bobbin is made and the lady has tried it. She wanted a little different design and that is what she got. I need to fine tune a bit but she likes this shape.

bob002.jpg

The only problem is that she showed some friends of hers and now I could be looking at making 5 or 6 dozen of these little puppies!

Here is the one Graham was talking about

smal004.jpg

Tom

Back