Any oak framing experts out there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening chaps… bit of an unusual one; a friend of a friend is having issues with water ingress through a glazed green oak framed gable end.

I’ve not seen it in person but have a few photos (and can get more), but from what I can see, there’s no sealing detail between the glass and the oak frame, which looks like it’s allowing water in. Is this normal, and can anyone point me in the direction of an idiots guide showing how the detail should be constructed?

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpeg
    IMG_1626.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Looks like are a few issues going on there, showing a lot of movement in the frame joints, not unusual for green oak, but also looks like the water is coming through them.

Can't see any pegged joints so makes you question how it is connected together, and looks like an inner planted on glass bead, which is gapping out, so presuming the same is happening on the outside and if they are dry glazed, not surprising they also leak.

Detailing for glazing in green oak can be difficult, you have to factor in the movement of the Oak frame and the effect that has on the glass, which also does in it's own way! so the glass has to be fitted to allow for both movements, there are a few methods that can be employed, but a full bed of silcone isnt one of them, be interesting to get some more pictures from outside as well.

1000004407.jpg
This is from Rupert Newman's book on oak- framed buildings, excuse the carpet in the background.

I’m not sure epdm glazing tape is suitable for the detail drawn above. My glazed frame is constructed very similarly but we used compriiband which is more suitable to allow for the movement of the frame

Mark

Latest posts

Back