Kreg fence fitted to a Record BS350 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddsocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the kreg fence from Axminster and fitted it to my Record BS350 before Christmas but have only now been able to get the photos taken.

Andy King In GW recommended the fence in a long term review in a recent issue (but on a different make of bandsaw) and from my first impressions it is exceptionally well made BUT.....
- is American hence comes with imperial nuts and bolts and tape.
- seems to be designed for bandsaws that have the blade exit on the side not the front BS350 is on the front).

The photos hopefully make it clear how I fitted this to my BS350 and am still able to remove the blade without disturbing the fence fittings.......

1. discard the imperial bolts
2. remove the original record measure scale alu profile
3. drill out the scale fitting holes with 9mm drill
4. offer the fence rail to the table (follow the instructions re keeping it lower than the table) and mark the new holes onto the rail
5. drill out the holes in the rail and elongate them vertically (longer bolts are needed hence these will not be able to be fitted into the holes otherwise).
6. find or make 14mm suitable spacers to keep the rail from the table but still parallel to it (I happened to have some motor washers from a washing machine - knew they would be useful one day!)
7. fit the rail to the table using 8mm bolts,nuts and washers.
8. remove the original record measure from the alu 8the single screw). This fits in the groove that the original kreg tape would have.

photos to explain it....
[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5205/5340508120_88bc519132.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/5339896913_fc17938cd4.jpg[/img]

with illness and the weather recently I've not used it other than for test cuts, but the fitting of the fence to the rail is rock solid and so as far as I can tell will be no problem either side (one of the reasons I bought this was that it was very easy to remove the fence and put it either side). It is released by the single plastic knob shown in the first picture. To move it loosen it just a bit; to remove undo it enough to disengage the dovetail mating area. I haven't done a functional review of it as I haven't used it enough.
If most of your work needs it on the right hand side of the blade you could make other fixing holes - I chose not to have the rail overhang the right hand side of the table. The record table is easy to drill cleanly.

Dave

I also have this Kreg fence on my SIP bandsaw and I am very impressed with the build.

I mounted mine directly against the saw table and drilled through the two mounting holes and bolted it on. I also added a few more smaller bolts which I drilled and tapped through both the fence and table side. This makes aligning it a breeze after a blade change.

Having the facility to allow for drift is the reason I bought this one over the Axi version.

You may be able to see mine in this old pic...
003-4.jpg

Highly recommended,

steve.

Having the facility to allow for drift is the reason I bought this one over the Axi version.

Iv never had any problems allowing for drift on my axi fence, thats what the four bolts through the top are for

Allan

Recky33":u79xvmut said:

Iv never had any problems allowing for drift on my axi fence, thats what the four bolts through the top are for

Allan

I didn't know that. When I went to Axi in Wycombe I was told it couldn't be moved for drift so bought the Kreg one?

Steve.

Ill second that, I have the Axi one on mine and adjusted it for drift to now give a perfect cut.

I fitted my brackets each side of the blade slot. When changing blades, I don't bother undoing the knobs under the rail, I loosen one mounting bolt and remove the other bolt and lift the fence off. This allows the rail to swing out of the way so the blade can be removed/fitted. Then you swing the rail back, put the bolt back in and tighten the other. This means i don't need align again.

Also to chance the fence to the other side you simply lift the cam lock arm, lift the fence off, put down on the other side, move to the measurement you require and push down the cam lock handle.

Sorry if this puts a damper on your new fence. Im sure its a great addition and every bit as good or better then the Axi one!

I can't remember why I chose the kreg one over the axminster one as they both had excellent reviews when i checked. The only real 'benefit' of spending more on the kreg than buying the axi one is the ability to fit a micro adjuster - whether I ever buy one is a different matter!

Back