Kity planer thicknesser and table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wildman":3hw0r7fi said:
There were two combination machines that I craved from my teens onwards, a Coronet Major and a Kity K5, well I have a coronet Major and it does everything and more that a k5 can do. These two machines really cornered the must have amateur market in the 50's and into the 60's. If I had the space and at the moment I don't, I'd love a K5 just for the thrill of fulfilling a lifelong lust for one. So if anyone in the future decides to part with one or finds one in need of TLC please do let me know.

You are the exact opposite to me. I craved a coronet major but when funds allowed I purchased a kity universal machine but would still like to own a coronet major.

I must admit to loving my coronet to bits, it is a lathe (with 5ft between centres a one off made to produce standard lamps) with 4.5" planer and thicknesser, slot mortiser as well as normal mortising (lever operated with stops in all directions), sander, linisher, box jointer (with micrometer adjustment and fully adjustable wobble saw), moulding spindle (with a full set of cutters quite rare I believe) polishing spindle with an assortment of buffing wheels I even have the imp bandsaw that could be driven from it though currently set up as a standalone. The coronet is of course cast Iron whilst the Kity cast aluminium. So a cheaper option.

.......but the Kity Planer/thicknesser was in a different league from the Coronet!! Even as a Coronet enthusiast, you had to be a masochist to use that thicknesser! I must have spent hours pushing the whole machine round trying to get some awkward oak thicknessed

We sold both in the mid eighties and the Kity , loads of Kity machines but you could count Coronet on one hand. Regional and different markets possible affected that though!

Latest posts

Back