Kity 637 Planner/Thicknesser Motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Kity 637 Planner/Thicknesser but the motor has burnt out.So I want to consider replacing it,if it is worth doing and not to expensive.Bearing in mind I know nothing about motors,can anyone tell me how I go about finding a replacement and what info I would need from the motors information plate to get the correct replacement.

Thanks Matthew

IIRC the tricky part is actually getting at the motor, it's in the cavity below all the stuff you can actually get at. You will probably have to lay it on its side or hoist it up on to some jacks to get at it. But it will simply be bolted to a plate and you can take it off with a spanner.

The plate will tell you the power, voltage, frequency. It will be 220-240V, 50Hz, single phase. I don't know the power, but it will be on the plate. You can measure the shaft size for the pulley. That's pretty much all you need, I think.

Pester Bob Myfordman, he's a good Motors man.

If I were you I would take the motor out and take it to a motor rewinding company, after getting a quote first. Then at least you know that the original motor will fit back.

Hi All,

Well I spoke with the local motor rewinding company and there have quoted £260 to rewind and refurb the motor.This seems expensive to me,what are the members thoughts and also what would the machine be worth in good working order?

Thanks

Matthew

That sounds expensive to me, I just looked on the bearing boys website and they have a 2 hp cap start cap run single phase motor for £198.00 including VAT. There are dimension drawings so you can check against.

Thanks for your reply ja2-k.

Just checked out the website,looks interesting,will investigate further and hopefully come up with a suitable replacement.

Matthew

The quote does seem high!

Not sure of the motor size on your machine, but I had my 1/2HP rewound before Christmas cost £100 they could have sold me a new motor for a similar price but said mine, although about 1960s was a better class than their imported motors also it would be a straight forward refit.

This site may be interesting if only for info.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321325141482? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Back