kitting out a small shop!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as you are, by your own admission here the importer/distributor for the EZ Guide Rail system

You are partly correct Scrit.
At the time of the post you refer to I was discussing the possibilities of importing and re-selling the EZ kit, (because it is so impressive), but that has never happened for various reasons.

I did not mention any vested interest in this post because as it stands at present I cannot re-sell the equipment, so have no vested interest.

I have had a number of people contact me privately for information, and those that decided to buy have all done so direct from the company in the States - and no I see no benefits finacially or in kind when they do so.

Most people think of guide rail systems (and there are a few alternatives out there) as being useful for nothing more than cutting straight lines on board. I have found this not to be the case and the purpose of my post was to demonstrate to others that there are alternatives to the 'conventional' ways of doing things that don't cost an arm and a leg.

If people have the money to buy all the good quality equipment they need, and a workshop big enough to house it, or have the time to look for - and the good fortune to find - good quality reliable second hand equipment that's fine. Unfortunately the fact is that a large number of woodworkers do not have such good fortune and end up going without or buying cheaper alternatives and are frustrated by the lack of quality they are able to achieve.

For example I purchased a Scheppach TS 4010 for close on to £2000 because everyone told me that you need a good quality saw to undertake accurate cutting - I believed tham so spent the money.

In the 3 years I have had it I have had to constantly check it to make sure it was maintaining its settings, and recently discovered that the table is now distorted and there is no way I can now use it for accurate square cuts.
I bought the EZ system 3 months ago and since I have had it it has proven more reliable and accurate than the Scheppach has been, at considerably less cost than they wanted to 'replace' the top on the Scheppach. And I cannot think of anything the Scheppach can do that I can't do just as quickly and accurately with the rails.

The point of my post was not to sell anything (I can't) but to share my personal experience and bring to jugglers attention an alternative possibility for him to investigate - no more than that.

there seems to alot of debate on this EZ rail thing i see! i'm still not actually sure what it is! but thanks for all the info everyone's been giving me. what i've decided i'm going to do is buy the following:
SIP 10" TS http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SIP-10-CA...2QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20789QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Scheppach Basato 3 bandsaw http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/scheppach-basato-bandsaw-basato3-scheppach-p-77677.html

Record PT260 P/T
Record DX4000 Extractor http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/RPWPT260AV
OR
SIP 10" P/T http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-10-X-6-PL...ryZ42283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Seems to me like the Record and SIP planer/thicknessers are exactly the same, but i can't find anywhere what the SIP's tables are made of, just says precision machined! if it's cast iron tho, would be a bargain me thinks!
the lot with the record P/T comes to £1530. If the SIP turns out to have cast iron tables i'll be tempted to go for that ending up with a total of £1475 although just seeing the numbers, i'd only save £55 replacing the SIP with the record, and knowing record have a 5yr warranty, i'd be more inclined to go record!
As for the SCMS i think i'll leave that for a later date and cope without it for a while. maybe make a jig for the TS?

Does anyone know about the Charnwood W310 morticer? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Charnwood...2QQihZ007QQcategoryZ42938QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . seems a reasonable price to me for a smaller morticer with sliding base? certainly a better buy than the RPM75!!
and the last thing on my list of goodies is going to be a scroll saw as i love doing scroll work and i'm thinking of treating myself to a Hegner. it's the only make of scroll saw i've been pleased with in the past and i wouldn't even look at another possibility.... until i couldn't find one anywhere but the hegner website priced at £390 vari speed!!! :shock: better look back thru the forum archives again i guess!! lol

Hi Juggler,

A Fret saw for you and I think from what Gill has said about them, there are very good :)

You could do a search just to make sure as I might have it wrong :roll:

Hi Juggler,

A Fret saw for you and I think from what Gill has said about them, there are very good

You could do a search just to make sure as I might have it wrong
i think if i was nearer the seller i'd def go have a look! never heard of diamond before but they look clean and basic but high quality, no silly extras that modern day likes throwing at u!
ta for that tho, widened my knowledge!
Paul

Paul
FWIW:
I have a record lathe, bought because it was trad solid British engineering. That's the only thing it has in its favour, there are better bangs for my buck out there.

I have the Scheppach Basato 5, the big one, and it is excellent. I recently saw Roger's, which is a slightly later model, which seems to be even more betterer, if that's possible (easier guide adjustment, better-shaped knobs, brake). The only issuse with the 5 is that you need an aircraft hanger for it. THe Besato 3 is the one I'd go for if I were making the purchase now. I did here a rumour that they were bringing out a 4, has anyone else heard about this?

As regards a mortiser, I have the Multico 20. The wood stays still and the head moves. It's pretty good, but I use it very rarely because I don't do a lot of M&T work, and when I do I usually use loose tenons, either with the router, or now with the Domino. Not so appropriate for architectural joinery, I know.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Hi,

Looks like there's a new addition to the Scheppach bandsaw line up; the Basato 4, see here: http://tinyurl.com/yxlqgw

Although not shipping until February next year, for the money it looks like a decent bit of kit (no affiliation to either Scheppach or DM Tools).

Cheers

Liam

Edit: Oops, sorry Steve, didn't read all of your post but the link confirms the rumour.

Back