Kitchen Worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BespOak

Reaction score
I've been renovating a house for some time and I'm now fitting my first kitchen, on a very small budget. Due to this I decided to make my own worktops from oak I purchased sometime ago.

I've made the first section of worktop from 80mm x 45mm staves, biscuited and glued up with cascamite.

The pictures were taken shortly after a coat of tung oil was applied and I expect the finish to dull down.

What finish would I use to retain the gloss finish, considering the kitchen envirnonment?

kitch25.jpg

kitch26.jpg

kitch28.jpg

very nice mate - well done. Love the ends how they dovetail together

Nice work. I had never considered making kitchen worktops but when it comes time I might give it a go. I like the finger jointing on the end it really brings the piece together.

A truly bespoke kitchen worktop. 8) :)

Sorry, not sure what to suggest on the finish. Probably some kind of lacquer? Though, if you really want a permanent 'gloss' finish, I imagine you'll need to regularly come back to it, whatever you use...

Make sure you get plenty of your finish on the end-grain around the sink. You don't really want any water getting in there once the top's settled.

That looks amazing! Sorry to repeat everyone else, but the finger joints really do set the whole thing off.

What are your plans for the doors? :D

I've just gone for a standard gloss white slab door for the whole of the kitchen.

I've got to make a custom larder unite to house side by side fridge & freezer this will have a oak surround made from oak veneered MDF I'll post more pics as I go.

Back