Protecting walnut laminated MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymien

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning,

I’m building a TV/media unit which has a 5.5m top. I’m making this from 3x sections of 26mm walnut laminated MDF. It’s going to be edge banded across the front to give the appearance of a solid piece. It’s only 25cm deep, with a 1.8m centre section that’s 45cm deep. The rest of the units are painted MRMDF.

I need the top protecting from everyday use, and would like a satin finish. I‘ve never bought or applied a finish before, so would really appreciate some advice/guidance please.

I’ve done a little research and Osmo seems well reviewed/recommended. Their website suggests Wood Wax Finish Extra Thin This one due to the hardwood. Or there’s this other one which I’ve found but it doesn’t specifically refer to hardwood.

Could someone with experience please let me know if that’s a good option or whether there’s something else that would be a good choice for a first time user?

Many thanks in advance

Osmo Top Oil is good. I used it on our kitchen worktops and it's held up well to abuse.

Rubio Monocoat seems to be top of the hype curve right now. I've not used it but plenty seem to be happy with its performance on table tops.

I use Rubio. Application is a breeze and would be hard to get it wrong, and it does cover really well with one coat. Although I generally use 2. Like with most finishes, just make sure you remove the excess. Osmo's are good finishes too. I think the Polyx is a harder wearing and maybe longer lasting than the Top oil, but differences are probably negligible. Applying with a scotch bright pad is easier to get an even coat with less excess to remove compared to brush application. Just my experiences anyway.

Just to note if it helps with choice is Rubio is a 2 part mix where as Osmo's are straight out of the tin.

Back