kitchen worktop jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
When using the kitchen worktop jig and its all set up, there seems to be abit of play in the jig when the guide bush is set in place, its only a few mm but does it matter what side i run the guide bush on. Say when im cutting with the router and i run the bush on the right hand side of the inside of the jig on female cut then the left hand side of the inside of the jig on my male cut, would they both fit mm perfect.

Buckeye":i8mi84h2 said:
Run with the router towards you to rough out, then pushed into the template for finishing cut
+1....... exactly that method =D> The finishing cut takes off so little that there's no effort and gives a nice smooth cut. It's not quite so noticable when cutting standard chipboard / laminate tops but very evident when cutting solid surface worktops.

Assuming you are experienced and know the rules about turning the tops over on relevant cuts to avoid chipped ends and that the correct holes are used for locating pegs it will be perfect.

Bob

It depends on your technique, but I would never run the router towards myself whilst doing worktop joints & Ive done hundreds of joints.

For the first few cuts, keep the guide bush tight to the waste side of the worktop jig. Once you have removed the majority of the waste material, do the final full depth trimming cut with the guide bush hard up against the finished side of the worktop jig. This applies when cutting both the Male & Female joints.

If you bring the router towards yourself, there is a tendancy for the router to want to start "climbing" and you will then be in a world of sh.t......!

Distinterior":1hhtk5ny said:
It depends on your technique, but I would never run the router towards myself whilst doing worktop joints & Ive done hundreds of joints.

For the first few cuts, keep the guide bush tight to the waste side of the worktop jig. Once you have removed the majority of the waste material, do the final full depth trimming cut with the guide bush hard up against the finished side of the worktop jig. This applies when cutting both the Male & Female joints.

If you bring the router towards yourself, there is a tendancy for the router to want to start "climbing" and you will then be in a world of sh.t......!

It is a bit unclear having re-read the posts.

I set the worktop up with the face up or down depending on the cut and stand at the end to be cut with the jig clamped and the cut to be left to right. I then hold the router with the guide bush tight against the jig slot edge closest to me, (towards me), i.e. the waste side of the cut and take the required number of cuts maybe 10mm at a time to get through the full depth of the worktop then a full depth final finishing cut with the bush held against the slot edge furthest away.

I guess we're probably talking about similar methods, just maybe not explained properly. There's no increased risk of the router cutter climbing imo. As I said I've cut hundreds as well and the only inaccuracies I've ever had have been exceptional and always because I haven't clamped the jig properly. :oops:

Bob

I think you guys are both saying the same thing aren't you. To me running the router towards you IS the waste side. what matters for climb cutting is the direction of travel. however, isn't climb cutting only relevant when the cutter is removing material from one side of the cutter only? if both sides are cutting material evenly climb cutting does not happen.
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Neil S":18esd37g said:
I think you guys are both saying the same thing aren't you. To me running the router towards you IS the waste side. what matters for climb cutting is the direction of travel. however, isn't climb cutting only relevant when the cutter is removing material from one side of the cutter only? if both sides are cutting material evenly climb cutting does not happen.
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I think so Neil which is why I tried to clarify. I guess "towards you" is easily misinterpreted
cheers
Bob

Buckeye":1364o0hu said:
Run with the router towards you to rough out, then pushed into the template for finishing cut

I think this is what threw me....

i think we are all talking about doing it in the same way.... :oops:

It was the thought of plunging the Router and bringing the Router towards yourself as you cut rather than pushing the Router away from you.

I stand at the end of the Jig where the cut starts when doing my cuts and push the Router away from myself.
I suppose if you stand in front of the Jig, your technique would be different....and you would be pulling the router towards yourself as you work from left to right, then on the final pass, you would push the router away from you as you work from left to right.

Back