Kitchen worktop edging.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan j

Established Member
Reaction score
I was at a friends house the other day and noticed that their kitchen worktop edging had been trimmed neatly at the top and front edge but left overhanging at the bottom.
I assumed that this was simply an oversight as this would be vulnerable to being caught and chipped, but since then I've been looking at other kitchens and noticed the same thing on several others.

Is there a reason why some people choose to leave it overhanging?

I'm not a kitchen fitter but have fitted quite a few worktops and can't think why you would leave it like this, but it seems like I've seen too many for this to be just a blunder.

You didn't say which type of worktop they were.....? But I assume they were laminate worktops with laminate edging..?
If so, then i can only imagine the kitchens were DIY fitted coz I can't ever imagine a professional kitchen fitter fitting laminate edging and leaving it the way you describe.
It must protrude down and look s h I t

They were laminate worktops.
They'd been mitered with a jig in the corner and that had been done quite neatly so they must have been fairly proficient.

Probably stuck the edging on too late to be able to get in underneath with a flush cut trimmer properly. Easier to just leave it then.

How much of a overhang was it? Could it have been made like that to form a drip to stop liquids running between worktop and cabinet. I

It is normally sent about 48 to 50mm high and when glued, it's trimmed top & bottom for a nice fit.

I must say, .....it must look really shoddy if it's protruding lower than the underside of the worktop....!!!!

Wuffles":3d3nfn4u said:
Probably stuck the edging on too late to be able to get in underneath with a flush cut trimmer properly. Easier to just leave it then.
Exactly what I thought.

They've stuck it on after fitting the top and couldn't get the trimmer on it.

Shoddy work, I seem to be getting a lot of jobs these days replacing worktops that have been ruined by these cowboys

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I've got to do some of this I'm a couple of weeks, is there a specific tool? Filing it down sounds a bit arduous!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

LarryS":125nkqlu said:
I've got to do some of this I'm a couple of weeks, is there a specific tool? Filing it down sounds a bit arduous!

Yes, a Laminate Trimmer. I have a Makita version, but they are all much the same.

if you have a lot to do on a regular basis then they are worth investing in, but for a one-off job then a sharp Stanley knife, a block of wood & a file will do the job nicely.
Just remember to fit and file all the glued on edgings before final installation of the worktops.....!!!!!!

Ah, bit late for that on one piece! Guess I'll need to take my time on it and deal with it being a bit fiddly. What's the block of wood for?

LarryS":vhsqqyzz said:
Ah, bit late for that on one piece! Guess I'll need to take my time on it and deal with it being a bit fiddly. What's the block of wood for?

Once you have stuck the edge on, you score the back of the laminate allowing a couple of mm above & below the worktop. Push the wooden block against the face of the laminate as you score, otherwise you will start to push the laminate back off again.

Many, many years ago when i first started fitting kitchens, I used to use the palm of my hand to hold the laminate whilst scoring the back side...!!!!! :shock: I've still got the scars to prove it.....It's easy to slip when pressing with the Stanley knife.....

Latest posts

Back