Kitchen Unit Door problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex H

Established Member
Reaction score
We have an integrated washing machine that just met it's maker. The new one, being from a different manufacturer has the hinge holes for the door in a different place, of course.

What would be the best way to fill in the old holes?

Before or after I drill the new ones?

Regards

Alex

Hi alex, as above, before 8s definitely the way forward.
You'll be best off filling with timber, so if you can get a near sized hole cutter and sand the new circle to fit... ( i.e 38mm to 40mm to fill a 35mm hole )
Or if you have a router you can make a quick circle jig and knock up the perfectsize circle.

Anyway, once thats glued in, you'll want to use a guide clamped securely to the door in position to keep the hinge drill bit from wandering. I have an mr mdf home made 'jig' that i clamp in place. Its simply an 18mm square of board with the 35mm hinge hole drilled through.

It is possible to buy 35mm Kitchen hinge repair plates, which might well cover the existing holes (screwfix for instance keep the Hafele version).

I did the same as baldkev, I cut a circle of timber using a hole saw and glued it to cover the old hole, which gave me a firm base for the new hole. Worked great!

Back