Kitchen chopping boards as source of plastic material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
From time to time I read here and elsewhere about kitchen chopping boards being advocated as a readily available economic source of high density plastic for sliders, jigs etc. Seems like a good idea and duly filed away for later.

Now I have a requirement for some plastic for a job, I've started looking in shops only to find lurid coloured boards about 5mm thick.

I need some thing 10 or more mm thick in a natural translucent polythene colour.

Any ideas for this sort of material in the shops please?

novocaine":3ea2jyhe said:
Ikea do 2, one is about 7-8mm the other is around 4-5mm. the 8mm are only available in white.

have you thought about making your own billets from milk bottles? it's fairly easy and can yield a decent block if done right with a suitable amount of pressure on the mold.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cook ... -90202268/

Mmmm! interesting thought. Do you need any sort of release agent? cooking oil maybe?

nope, HDPE is self lubricating. I tend to make a box out of wood with a paddle to push in to it so I can knock the sides of instead of having to pull it out though.
cut it in to tiny little bits (an old cross cut shredder worked for me), stick it in the oven to warm, scoop it in to the mold, add the paddle and squash in the fly press, or vice.

have a look on youtube, loads of videos on it that will explain it better than I can, some garbage as usual too though.

Catering boards are about an inch thick. They turn nicely, though the stringy shavings are a nightmare.

For this particular job I need good strength so decided against home casting.

I managed to get a piece on ebay 100mm square and 15 thick for £2.75 posted which I'm happy with.

Thanks for all your replies and ideas.

Back