kitchen cabinet doors........................

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostello

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all

I'm a long time lurker here and I'm after some help.

I made my kitchen cabinets about 3 years ago and ran out of time/money when it came to the doors and only got half of them made.

The doors are 15mm birch ply sprayed with eggshell paint.

They have never been flat. All of them are twisted to some degree. I think the ply might have been twisted to start with.

Can I flatten them????

How do I keep the new ones (which I'll be making later this year) flat????

sasha

Hi,

I think 15mm thickness is OK, I would normally use 18mm for this but birch ply is very stable so should be just fine.

Have you sprayed both sides of the doors? Painting just one side can cause twisting of the panel.

Rgards
Mark

they are coated on all sides..................

primer and 2 top coats..............

I think they must have been twisted when I made them as they have never laid flat.

so does anyone know of a way that i might be able to flatten them?????

steam?????

Hi, kostello

My kitchen cupboard doors are 18mm birch ply and are fine, I think 15mm is to thin for cupboard doors.
I would remake them all from 18mm birch ply or MR MDF, its heaver than Birch ply so make sure you cupboards are up to it.

Pete

kostello":mmd3r718 said:
I think they must have been twisted when I made them as they have never laid flat.

so does anyone know of a way that i might be able to flatten them?????

I think it's very unlikely that you will be able to flatten them. Some retailers store board materials badly and they are often warped and twisted. Always ensure that when you buy board materials that they are flat to start with.

Unfortunately, I think your best bet is to scrap the doors and start again.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I agree with Paul, once the timber has got a twist in it, it's almost impossible to get it out again. Either live with them, or re-make - Rob

You could try to counter twist them - heat & moisture will help bending them, attach them to a frame or similar that's "over" what you want it to be. Let it stay there for 24 hours minimum. But, biggest culprit is here the lousy handling of the materials usually. If ply is wet/moist, it will form to the shape of where it's being stored at. They have typically too few battens under the ply stacks. :cry: Just proves that the materials don't cost the dealers half of what it costs to you and me, since they can afford to treat them so bad.

Are these doors solid 15mm or frame and panel. If the latter then it might be possible if remaking to select the components so that the natural curve cancels out (rails and styles curve in the same direction).

If solid birch then yes, they will be warped as all the birch I've seen (and I've seen a lot) is always curved, it varies just how much. Certainly I would expect to see one of the outboard corners bent away from the cabinet on even the flattest stuff I've seen.

My suggestion is to burn them and try again with some 18mm mdf.

If you're spraying them anyway I'd just go with 18mm MDF. Much cheaper than furniture grade ply and perfectly stable as long as it's properly sealed by the coating.

Back