Kitchen Alcove (WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great work Jon! i've got some MDF larder units to make next week, i wont be using any festool! i don't even have a biscuit joiner, i use a slot cutter in my router :lol:

i might even do a WIP :-k

John

Thanks for the comments guys.

Geno - I will take some before and after pictures

John - I have a Mafell Jointer you are welcome to borrow if you want.

I have been on site for the last few days so no progress on the alcove until next week. As this thread has developed a bit of a domino twist I thought I would post some pics of a table I have just finished using dominos throughout as an experiment. The table is made from leftovers of Maple and is going to be a Mothers Day pressie for Sunday.

Legs and Rails jointed

Table-02.jpg

Finished Table. The 2 inch Maple for the Legs is slighty darker than the 1 inch stock but is not as pronounced as it is in the photo.

table-01.jpg

Detail of joint

table-03.jpg

The table went together easily it took probably 5 mins to mark out the joints and another 5 to cut them. It probably took about 4 hours to make in total with the planing gluing sanding and finishing. I probably wouldnt use the domino for a large table but for a quick present like this it was ideal.

Jon

JonnyD":1uhdfde1 said:
John - I have a Mafell Jointer you are welcome to borrow if you want.

Jon

Thanks Jon, i'll see how i get on.

I might wont some wood thicknessing as i've got some of cuts of hardwood flooring that i might use to lip the shelves.

John

Thats looking great and you have a superb workshop. I am very impressed with what I have seen done with the domino on this forum. It definitely looks like something I need to seriously think about getting.

The Domino is a great tool for a pro 'shop where it'll be used more or less constantly. In my opinion, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy one for a hobby 'shop where it might get used infrequently...unless of course, you can buy a decent one second hand...................Paul :mrgreen: - Rob

woodbloke":35jxkv6j said:
The Domino is a great tool for a pro 'shop where it'll be used more or less constantly. In my opinion, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy one for a hobby 'shop where it might get used infrequently...unless of course, you can buy a decent one second hand...................Paul :mrgreen: - Rob

But don't all tools in a 'hobby shop' get used infrequently? Isn't the whole point of hobby woodworking the aquisition of expensive tools that only get taken out of their rosewood cabinet in order to gloat in front of visitors?

:lol:

I bet a Domino would get more use in a hoobyist's shop than a bloody 'scraper plane'.

What use is a scraper plane on MDF?

:wink:

Cheers
Brad

I have been busy doing some other projects but managed to grab a few hours today to work on the alcove.

I finished jointing the carcase for the top. Nothing to fancy here just a few dominos and pocket screws as it is all hidden after installation

Alcove-25.jpg

I then cut out the back taking the dimensions from the rod which is on the hardboard sheets on the bench. The back is made from 6mm veneered mdf and as the cabinet is about 1500mm wide it needed 2 sheets. I managed to match the grain pretty well. I asked for consecutive veneered sheets when I ordered them as it is easier to match up the grain.

Alcove-23.jpg

The back was then screwed onto the back of the carcase. Doing it this way ensures the carcase is the same size as the rod and template.

Alcove-24.jpg

The oak face frame is dominoed onto the carcase

Alcove-26.jpg

The 2 carcases together

Alcove-27.jpg

Detail of the top

Alcove-28.jpg

I have just got to hang the doors and joint up the boards for the solid oak top and then sand and finish.

will keep you posted.

Jon

Other Jobs have put this project on the back burner but I managed to grab a few hours yesterday on it.

First job was to hang the doors using satin chrome finish butt hinges. The hinges are double cut into the door so that the beaded edge on the frame doesnt need cutting into leaving a neater finish.

Alcove-29.jpg

The door is set back slightly. I usually make a 30mm thick face frame and 26mm thick doors which allows for a thicker panel and a sturdier door

Alcove-30.jpg

With Tulipwood doors I usually hang the doors with a fairly small gap all around as I have found once installed in a centrally heated house the wood never swells and more than likely will shrink a little bit.

Alcove-31.jpg

I have just been laying out the shelf positions using some masking tape to see how it looks

Alcove-32.jpg

will keep you posted

Jon

those satin chrome hinges look nice, brass ones never do look right with a painted cabinet. are the shelves in the top going to be glass still?

keep up the great work!

John

Thanks for the comments

John - The clients have decided they want Solid shelves and not the glass so they are just going to be 19mm Oak Mdf Lipped with solid Oak.

They are here ready to be sized and fitted

Alcove-33.jpg

Jon

Done a bit more today.

I planed up the timber for the solid top which is 1 1/4 inch American White Oak finished at 26mm. Jointed with the Domino and Glued up with UF Resin Glue.

Alcove-34.jpg

And in Clamps

Alcove-35.jpg

The solid top of the unit is going to flow into some new window boards which I will also be fitting. I need 26mm finished but the wide 10inch boards that I ordered in were badly cupped so I had to rip them down the middle and rejoin them to get the finished thickness.

Alcove-36.jpg

Will Keep you Posted

Jon

I have been fitting the alcove unit today.

This is the space the unit is going in

Alcove-37.jpg

Had to do the usual stuff scribing to uneven walls and floors etc but in the end it fitted fine.

Alcove-38.jpg

Alcove-39.jpg

Alcove-40.jpg

The almost finished unit

Alcove-41.jpg

There is a few bits and pieces to finish off bits of trim handles etc and I will post some pictures when finished taken with the digital SLR

Although this post has been going a while I have been doing this inbetween other jobs. It has taken about 7 days in the workshop to make and a day to fit.

Jon

Great stuff, Jon.

I can't fault your procedure in any way - it is exactly how I would have done it!

:lol:

I love jobs of this type and scale. In and out in a week or so with a minimum of fuss and aggro. Am I right in thinking a couple of grand?

There is also a never-ending supply of this kind of work and very few guys around able or prepared to do it to this standard.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Brad

What did you do with the socket?

Did you just cut a hole in the back and move it forward?

Looks really great. I really enjoy seeing how you and Brad Naylor do these type of jobs.

Thanks for going to the extra effort and sharing this.

Mick

Hi Brad your about spot on in terms of money. I do quite a few jobs like this and they can be quite profitable. I would have prefered to do it in one go rather than spread out over a month or so but I have got 5 jobs on the go at the moment. As soon as I get them done I am going back to one job at a time and I will hopefully one happy customer rather than 5 moaners :D

Mick I got my sparky mate to drop by and blank of the socket as there are plenty in the room. The back is inset by about 15mm to take account of the blanking plate.

Jon

JonnyD":2qotswye said:
I would have prefered to do it in one go rather than spread out over a month or so but I have got 5 jobs on the go at the moment. As soon as I get them done I am going back to one job at a time and I will hopefully one happy customer rather than 5 moaners
Jon

I've got into this situation in the past. This year though, I have started using Outlook on my computer and block off the relevent amount of time for each job in the order that I get the commission. For the unit you have just finished for instance, I would have blocked off two weeks to be on the safe side. Being generous with the time allocation also allows me to slip a little 'extra' job in here and there - if you get my drift... :wink:

I now take a print-out with me on my appointments. When a new client asks me how soon I can do their job I show them my schedule and can tell them exactly when I can book their work in - even six months in advance.

It is so simple and clients love it. They can see exactly how busy I am and this gives them extra confidence in their decision to use me.

Best of all, I am bang on schedule. I used to be all over the place but now feel totally in control of my outstanding orders. I can't recommend Outlook enough.

If you can have five jobs on the go at once then your workshop is too big!

Cheers
Brad

Cheers Brad I am going to impement a system like yours as soon as I get caught up with work which will hopefully be in a couple of weeks time. I am thinking of allowing a week extra every six weeks to take up the backlog or even go on holiday 8)

Jon

Back