Kingspan insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toegraf

Reaction score
Just measured up and I’m going to need 9 full size boards 1.2x2.4x.5cm.
Wickes £350.00
Bit pricey for just a man cave is there a cheaper alternative?

Thanks nick.
I’m considering just using 50mm polystyrene comes in at £140.
Either that or the foil covered rock wool.
Does anyone have any experience with this.
Sorry for all the questions, this is my first build and it’s starting to feel like I’m in over my head.

Watching the answers with interest, I might find myself working from home soon necessitating turning the end of the garage into a home office. Warm and cosy it currently isn’t.

There are a number of suppliers of Celotex and Kingspan seconds. Duckduckgo is your friend. :) I don't think I've ever bought new. If you know a builder, ask him to buy it for you as he'll get a discount that you won't.

Toegraf":22qjup89 said:
Thanks nick.
I’m considering just using 50mm polystyrene comes in at £140.
Either that or the foil covered rock wool.
Does anyone have any experience with this.
Sorry for all the questions, this is my first build and it’s starting to feel like I’m in over my head.

Polystyrene is less than half the price but half as efficient I believe only use it if you have deep cavities to fill or otherwise use cavity batts. I think they are more efficient than polystyrene, less fire risk and better for sound insulation but I am no expert.

Cheers Peter

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/products/wall ... nal-walls/

Cheers Peter

Yes, polystyrene is not as good as the foil boarded Celotex / Kingspan etc, it's much less dense and of course if it does catch fire, eek.

For my shed I used http://www.insulation4less.co.uk/rwa45-50mm Rockwool RWA45 flexible slabs - at 16 quid for a pack covering 6.5 m2 they weren't bad at all - and the acoustic insulation properties are pretty good too. By my reckoning the OP would only need four or five of these packs to cover the area needed?

Rockwool bats is where my research led me. Cheaper per m2 and much more sound adsorption. On the plan for this summer.

F.

Fitzroy":3drypbsc said:
Rockwool bats is where my research led me. Cheaper per m2 and much more sound adsorption. On the plan for this summer. F.

That's what I used for mine, but you do have to remember that these are half as thermally efficient as PIR insulation (Celotex, Kingspan etc), so 100mm of Kingspan = approx 200mm of mineral wool.

Peter Sefton":3rh67alq said:
Just seen this on a carpenters forum, looks good

http://hybrid.insulation-actis.com/hybris/

Those figures mean it has roughly the same level of performance as mineral wool/ fibreglass (ie roughly half as good as Celotex/ Kingspan). I bet it doesn't have roughly the same level of price. It certainly isn't anywhere near the level of availability.

Thanks for all the advice gents.
I have decided on 50mm Rockwool bats.
X3 packs for £96.
Although I’m compromising on thermal efficiency, for what I’m using the building for (occasionally escaping the wife and kids) I think it will be more than sufficient.
Also the price is much more agreeable with the OH. :D

Those 50mm slabs are all (and some OSB plus membrane) that's between my workshop and the outside world and they do a very decent job - I just have a small 600w heater for a 5 x 3m space and it is satisfactory, even last week. Especially when I do some real work ;)

Latest posts

Back