Ken rescues dis-honourable GB ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":322nn92z said:
Jake":322nn92z said:
Hector Sants?

So is that a blanket ban on anyone to do with finance?

I didn't say that - who did?

As you are always bemoaning the FSA's failure, I thought you might agree that was a odd elevation.

If it were honourable then we would not know about it.

The fact Ken Livingstone chose to publicise the fact he has turned down the offer seems to me to remove any honour on his part.

Mick

Jake":3lod6do3 said:
RogerS":3lod6do3 said:
Hector Sants?

So is that a blanket ban on anyone to do with finance?

I didn't say that - who did?
Hence my question mark. I wasn't sure if you were specifically choosing Hector Sants for one reason or another or if it was a knee-jerk reaction against anyone to do with finance. I agree that his honour is a bit questionable.

As you are always bemoaning the FSA's failure, I thought you might agree that was a odd elevation.
Not the FSA per se but the fact that the whole debacle was as a result of Gordon's ineptitude in setting up an inadequate monitoring system for the sector.

+1 for what MickCheese said.

I like the honours system. Some people are a bit of a suprise to me but hey that's life.

MickCheese":1r40pij4 said:

The fact Ken Livingstone chose to publicise the fact he has turned down the offer seems to me to remove any honour on his part.

Mick

God grief, anyone else reminded of the life of Brian clip.

Alright I am the messiah .............

MickCheese":1akgp89l said:

Mick
#

Why?
So he wants the world to know that he doesn't agree with the honour system or that he doesn't believe that politicians should receive one. I think it a wise move to get your opinions across. Not much point in not letting anyone know!
He's obviously not alone though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declining_a_British_honour

Anima":3217ywg7 said:
+1 for what MickCheese said.

I like the honours system. Some people are a bit of a suprise to me but hey that's life.

If there is any truly remarkable social service or achievement amongst this batch (that has not already been adequately recognised through financial reward or other appropriate awards) then it has been totally swamped into oblivion by the rest!

I detest the "honours" system... GB will continue it's steady decline until we're able to be freed of the distinctions of the social class system, which mechanisms like the "honours" system reflects, reinforces, and prolongs.

Ever since the Yank's 13 colonies had the temerity to want their independence; take up arms; and defeat the empire, the empire has been in decline and is long since finished.... Get over it!

The Monarchy is nothing more than "Celebrities" in an institutionalised form IMO.... Get me out of here....

WandrinAndy":3elcm4ul said:

The Monarchy is nothing more than "Celebrities" in an institutionalised form IMO.... Get me out of here....

Fine by me. Where shall I send your ticket? I hear China is classless and egalitarian.

RogerS":2h9e3wc2 said:
Fine by me. Where shall I send your ticket? I hear China is classless and egalitarian.

Thanks for your best wishes and kind offer Roger.... Sadly it's not a simple as that..... And there are better choices than China IMO.

The powers-that-be at my final destination on this planet are slowly working through the waiting list of who they will let in.... based on a quota system..... Would you believe the cheek of these impudent colonies!!!

They are a relatively equal society though.... The convicts outbred the rest.

WandrinAndy":3voqtnbz said:
RogerS":3voqtnbz said:

Thanks for your best wishes and kind offer Roger.... Sadly it's not a simple as that..... And there are better choices than China IMO.

The powers-that-be at my final destination on this planet are slowly working through the waiting list of who they will let in.... based on a quota system..... Would you believe the cheek of these impudent colonies!!!

They are a relatively equal society though.... The convicts outbred the rest.

I'm guessing Australia then? If so, Googling 'Is Australia a classless society' produced some interesting results. Even if it is not, I don't believe that any society or country can be classless.

RogerS":2vhx3fro said:
If so, Googling 'Is Australia a classless society' produced some interesting results. Even if it is not, I don't believe that any society or country can be classless.

Yep, I've no illusions that anywhere is perfect....

But it fortunately doesn't have the many centuries of privilege based on accidents of birth, that need to be reversed.

Harbo":2vhx3fro said:
No just ask the original natives?

Sadly you're right... But that is the case wherever the empire colonised and then out-shipped and out-bred the indigenous population.... Suppose it's a case of survival of the fittest?

WandrinAndy":3wihgm4e said:
If there is any truly remarkable social service or achievement amongst this batch (that has not already been adequately recognised through financial reward or other appropriate awards) then it has been totally swamped into oblivion by the rest!

I detest the "honours" system... GB will continue it's steady decline until we're able to be freed of the distinctions of the social class system, which mechanisms like the "honours" system reflects, reinforces, and prolongs.

My daughters headmistress got an OBE for a lifetime in education as an outstanding teacher and significant charity fund raiser. My brothers father in law was knighted a few years ago for a lifetime as one of the greatest scientists in the world.

I fully support a system that rewards extraordinary achievements and enables a nation to laud its citizens that deserve it. I disagree that it deserves "detesting", I am uncomfortable as to how many politicians are on the list and also senior public servants but I do not think the system should be destroyed. That would be to throw the baby out with the bathwater, to me looking through the list last night, the vast majority seem to be "normal people"making great efforts and sacrifices.

cutting42":vbtvysfe said:
WandrinAndy":vbtvysfe said:

My daughters headmistress got an OBE for a lifetime in education as an outstanding teacher and significant charity fund raiser. My brothers father in law was knighted a few years ago for a lifetime as one of the greatest scientists in the world.

I fully support a system that rewards extraordinary achievements and enables a nation to laud its citizens that deserve it. I disagree that it deserves "detesting", I am uncomfortable as to how many politicians are on the list and also senior public servants but I do not think the system should be destroyed. That would be to throw the baby out with the bathwater, to me looking through the list last night, the vast majority seem to be "normal people"making great efforts and sacrifices.

=D> =D> =D> Well said. Sports people should have no place in it, neither should time serving "public servants", politicians or the people who empty the prince of Wales' snot bucket.

Back