Just seen the silky katanaboy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodster101

Established Member
Reaction score
Was online looking for a large crosscut saw, instead of a chainsaw, missed out on a bargain, my mate told me about the silky katanaboy folding saw...watched this thing rip, it's amazing, the logs it can through the size and speed of it, am already saving for it, trying to be disciplined as opposed to Mastercard taking one for the team :)

Do you plan on getting Japanese saw files for it?
looks a bit expensive to be bringing out camping to me

In all honesty if you just want to crosscut for logs just get a decent bowsaw and blade. Just looked at a couple of videos of them in action and it does no look especially quick. Silky's blunt like any other saw but when a blade costs 2/3 of a new saw it's not funny. Few quid for a new blade for a bowsaw.

Actually need to contact silky about files, just because of the hardened tips, as long as they say they're okay shall get the file for it, yeah I know they're a tad on the pricey side, but convenient to carry, not limited by the bow handle, and looks great to me, and can probably justify the price of it, more than the woodpeckers squares hanging on the wall,but you only live once...haha

My wife was given a present of a 180 model for pruning (she's a very keen gardener). Seems to work well and after a year or so it shows no signs of blunting. As it's me who'll have to deal with sharpening it when the time comes I hope it's possible and will not mean a blade change.

Beau":27o89np3 said:
In all honesty if you just want to crosscut for logs just get a decent bowsaw and blade. Just looked at a couple of videos of them in action and it does no look especially quick. Silky's blunt like any other saw but when a blade costs 2/3 of a new saw it's not funny. Few quid for a new blade for a bowsaw.

Another vote for a good bow saw, though I still don't understand why a sub 24" blade costs two thirds the price of a new chainsaw chain for a 14" bar!!

Having said that I really like the Silky saws, wouldn't laugh at anyone for buying one.

I am willing to bet my 340mm non-folding pruning saw (complete with holster) cuts every bit as well, and as fast, as any Silky owner willing to challenge it.

Obviously, Silky owners love their saws, the same way Festool owners love paying for their tools :-D

The Silky Katanaboy is 650mm in length. Here in Oz it is $245. I purchased a Silky Bigboy, which is essentially the same saw but with a 500mm long blade. Only $79.

It cuts through green wood like a hot knife through butter. I have it for branches for making spoons.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The Katanaboy is a sharpenable blade and you can get a suitable file from Silky. They are superb saws, personally I've yet to find a bow saw that could compete with one.

Alan Smith":3kpqvodf said:
The Katanaboy is a sharpenable blade and you can get a suitable file from Silky. They are superb saws, personally I've yet to find a bow saw that could compete with one.

My experience is the same. I have a couple of silky pocket boys in different blade lengths and tpi for cutting smaller green wood and garden pruning etc, and a couple of years ago treated myself to a silky bigboy in 8 tpi to replace my bow saw for cutting larger firewood. The silky monsters through any wood, much, much quicker and easier than a bow saw, no comparison, and is also easy to slide down the side of my rucksack when going camping, much easier to pack and carry than a bow saw and significantly more effective in use in my experience.

I have a silky Zubat non folding and it's awesome for tree work. I also have a lidl folding saw which is actually not far off the silky for rough cutting and I keep it for dirty work / root saw. The lidl one is back in in the next two weeks and is about £5

Must be something wrong with my Sugoi. Never thought it anything special but is handy on occasion.

Back