just popping in about blades..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys
not been around for a while as i get to grips with my art but i have been cutting in the background, i have now ran out of FD blades and wondered what everyone uses now days and is anyone putting an order together i can share as i still have more cutting to do..
I use mainly 3/4 inch thick oak so need your advise regarding blades with this in mind..

TIA

steve

Hi Steve,
been watching your rather impressive art on FB =D>
As you probably know I use olsen blades, and for thicker woods and less intricate cuts I use the pgt blades as they cut well and leave an incredibly smooth finish. For finer cuts I prefer the reverse tooth blades and have used a number 2 on 18mm oak before now, it does need tape and is quite slow, but that is fine for intricate cuts, though a *#5 is pretty good too for tight corners, they also leave very smooth edges and I never feel the need to sand any fuzzies away, cos they aren't there. The mach blades cut quickly, but don't leave quite such a smooth finish.
I can't really comment on FD blades as I can only think that when I tried (a good variety of) them I had the bad lot that seemed to be going at the time, as they broke, and left incredibly fuzzy edges, and those were the ones recommended by Mike to be good.
I find the wooden teddy bear to be good to deal with, and they supply olsen and fd blades, their postage is never as dear as they quote, and they are usually with me in about 5-7 days, just remember to ask that they don't include their catalogue :)

Gill

Hi Steve.

Trust the art is going well.

I purchase all of my blades from (Hegner UK), their price is competitive, if you purchase at the gross rate. The last time I ordered from them, I recall that their P&P was reasonable and the same price, regardless of volume or weight.

Not putting together an order at this time, as I have a good stock.

Take care and happy return to scroll sawing.

Chris R.

Hi Steve , good to hear from you again.
The Wooden Teddy Bear is selling fd blades to the best of my limited knowledge.
I bought Olsen blades off them but was disappointed with the way they cut compared with fd blades.
Regards
Brendan

Back