Just finished my new Routing Table!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John. B

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished my new Routing Table!

Used to use a Trend craftsman but it had limited opening for larger cutting bits, and as my cutters were spread around in different drawers

I thought it was about time everything should be brought together.

Made from odd pieces of Ply and Sapele offcuts cept the top, that was readymade .

Front!

Storage!

Table-top

+ Featherboards,,,,(Bought cos they were a Very good price)

Cutters!

Cutters!

John B.

nice and neat. I think we'd all like bigger pictures though.

i'm about to knock up some storage for router cutters, spindle tooling and drill bits, pictures give me the kick up the a r se I need. I like you am rocking a triton in my router table, they're not the most sophisticated, but plenty of power.

thanks for sharing

Looks like it's based on Norm's design?

I made one a few yrs ago but with extraction from the fence and main chamber and with a door on the front.

Rod

Thank you gents, yep tis based on Norms work. I also have an excellent book by Wood Magazine (American) called 'build your own SHOP JIGS & FIXTURES'

If you are into making jigs, I can heartily recommend it.

At the moment I am in the process of making an improved fence. BTW, I changed the thumbnails into large pics, if you click on them they come a little larger :lol: (hammer)

John. B

MMUK

must confess, haven't used them all yet. They are 'Tornado cutters' in a set from Rutlands in a sale (still on) which worked out at a little over £2.27 each cutter.

Even if you didn't use 50 percent of them they still are IMHO a bargain. May be not as good as Wealden but then I don't use them as a tradesman would.

In the other drawers I have a few from the USA. Bought them whilst on holiday Made by CMT, Porter Cable ETC. (Quite cheap in the USA)

John. B

Nice job I like it might do the same to my table with its basic steel legs. Got that same set from rutlands too =D>

No, if you look at the second pic you'll see the rear is half enclosed.

This is ensure a through flow of air through the lower enclosure keeping the router cool.

Makes less troublesome to adjust the router instead of opening doors, and easier to vacuum out.

It's enough to have extraction through the fence without lowering pressure by extracting a large area of the router chamber.

John. B

Superb work John.

When you say the top was ready made, what make is it please. Have not made a base yet, but your's would take a lot of beating. Well done.

Alex

Thank you Grayorm.

Alex, It's from Rutland a Dakota, part No DK 2009 for £99.00 ( costing this, I doubt I could make one with what this comes with).

It's a big table, very thick and stable. In the pic on the website it shows having featherboards.

They are not included, luckily I had a new set waiting in the wings. 8) It comes with a Leg frame (not used) Mounting plate, (separately bought cost over £40.00)

Channeling (fitted side to side front to back), stick-on tape measures. The pic shows them fitted at side extremes, I routed

a shallow (1mm) channel either side of the mounting plate where they are much easier to see and use.

The fence is OK, just! The back is very good, a large aluminium angle that the fence slides on with a screwed on extractor. Thick laminated MDF, a bit too long.

I cut an angle in the opening and shortened them but I'm still not too happy about them, so Iv'e decided use the back and make a better front fence.

When I've finished I'll post a pic, see what you think?.

Thank you all for your comments.

John. B

John. B":3o3addnt said:
In the other drawers I have a few from the USA. Bought them whilst on holiday Made by CMT, Porter Cable ETC. (Quite cheap in the USA)

John. B

You'd better let me know next time you pop across the pond then so I can give you a shopping list :mrgreen:

Have you seen the latest weight limits? depending what airline you fly with, you could be saddled

with as little as 15Kg in the hold and 5Kg carry on.

5Kg! That's a camera bag containing one SMALL camera.

I'll have to get one of those coats that has 50 pockets :shock: They haven't started weighing passengers YET! :roll: (give em time)

John. B

Back