Just finished my new Routing Table!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, I like the cutter storage drawers nice and organised. 8) Hmmm must get around to making a router table for the workshop...

Thanks guys,

I've now finished my new fence, this is the old one:

This is my new one:

It has two separate movable slides to keep the gap as small as possible,

For long cutters:

All held by star knobs that loosen at half a twist.

What do you think?

John. B

Hi John,
It looks brilliant. Can you post a few more details of your new fence as I have the same table and I'm not mad keen on the existing fence?
I have made a fine adjuster for the fence but this fits to the aluminium plate at the back so shouldn't impact on what you've done.
Cheers.

Hello Glynne,

I'll take it apart tomorrow and photograph what I've done to the aluminium angle backing.

John. B

Thanks John.
The fine adjuster is a bit of a Heath Robinson affair but I'll post a link on the off chance it might be of some use.
On the subject of the Rutlands table, I have slight worries about leaving the router suspended by the phenolic plate in case it starts to bow and I do try and remember to lift the whole assembly out. I would love to be told that I'm being over cautious but I thought I would mention just in case I'm not alone!

Hello Glynne,

Here's the breakdown. The first three pics are the rear slide adjusters, extended with a mushroom headed coach bolt and
turned wood spacer with two odd sized washers. One to fit the top the other larger to spread over the back slot. (It's much easier to reach over the fence to adjust it).

Next, without the fence. The details of the slots in the back. These could pose a problem to do for you, unless like me you are in the fortunate position to have at your disposal a rather large milling machine.
The alternative of drilling out and filing the slots did not appeal to me.

The other side showing the layout of the star knobs. As with the back, the upper ones with a small spacer in order for them to pass without clashing.
These knobs are only temporary because I have on order from Axminster a new set that are somewhat longer than these(out of stock at present).

Front view!

Here shows a thin card inserted between the upper and lower front slides. When setting the fence, due to tolerance in the milled slots the upper and lower fence
can rub against each other so I insert the card, tighten the upper fence take out the card then adjust the lower fence. (If that makes sense)
The lower fence can then be adjusted as and when you want.

That's it!

I hope these pics are of some use,

Regards.

John. B

John,

Thank you for that, I have the same table and have been watching your post with interest, your fence adaption is something I will borrow.

regards,

You are very welcome Tim,

I hope you can borrow a milling machine, :roll: It's a heck of a lot of aluminium to file. :shock: :shock: (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

John. B

Thanks John.
It looks really good and as my son is an engineer (Precision Metals & Plastics Ltd), I should be able to call a favour in.
I assume you used the existing wooden fence to make your new ones?
As promised, here is the link for my fine adjuster. As I said it is a bit Heath Robinson and I should really getv some proper knobs but it does work well and 0.3mm is as fine as I'm likely to need.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/dakota-deluxe-router-table-fence-fine-adjustor-t69317.html
Glynne

Hello Glynne,

That's a very handy contact to have especially when it's in the family.

No, I was lucky to have stashed in the roof beams for the last couple of years a piece of nice shiny Formica covered MDF.

I like your Heath Robinson adjuster, I would not have enough room to make one of those as my table backs right up against the shed, oops! (studio wall) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iv'e just started to turn a goblet for my clubs competition next month. I'll post a pic when its finished.

I think this may be my first post in this section, I'm normally in the lathe section since my main thing is turning.

regards

John. B

Cheers John.
Good luck with competition, I started more serious wood work (as opposed to pure maintenance) with turning but then succumbed to the wider appeal. Something about routers and routing and if I ever win the lottery, I'm sure I'll buy an Incra setup.
Thank you for taking the time out for the photos.
Glynne

Latest posts

Back