Jorden's Part 2 Intermediate submission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorden

Established Member
Reaction score
Last thing at night, one of the things I like to do is kick back on the sofa, putting my feet up on the poofe, while savoring a bite of my favorite chocolate. My chocolate store is in the poofe (which has an opening lid) and I suspect the chocolate pixies have been helping themselves to my precious stash. On top of that the cloth covering on the existing poofe has been attacked by the house cats so is looking a little threadbare.

In designing a new poofe the criteria were that it had to match the existing coffee table it would stand next to, and provide a secret drawer for my chocolate. The coffee table is in oak, with 4 legs and a raised panel upper section, so the poofe required the same elements. I like to use recycled oak as much as possible and have a fair stock of it so the timber wasn't going to be a problem, and the design concept was already established in the coffee table, so some measuring and recalculating gave me a cutting list.

The rails were not going to be a problem being straight forward m&t joints with slots to take the raised panels. The legs would have to be turned, which throws up exciting problems of 50 year old dry oak splitting as soon as it saw the lathe!. The raised panels needed a special jig built to cut them safely - and there is still the problem of the secret drawer!

pparts3s.jpg

Here is one of the legs being sanded on the round sections, still got to have the mortises cut into it in case the leg split during turning.

pparts2s.jpg

Here is the special jig I built to cut the raised panels. This is actually the second jig, the first one rode on the table saw fence but proved too unstable to get accurate corners.

pparts1s.jpg

Several days later the parts are all made and ready for assembly - but there is still the problem of the secret drawer to overcome :wink:

Dennis

Back