Joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if we get into trying to define what’s funny this thread will quickly lose it’s appeal.

IMHO it’s best just to raise an eyebrow at something I think is an unfunny attempt at humour and move on. The thing that really does wind me up is when I get sent a good meme and then find @Doug B has beat me to posting it 🤣

Yup, you're correct Blacksanwood, at the very least "in principle". The reason for my negative reaction to several of the "jokes" above, it that there has been a rather large crop of "funny" (but actually not funny at all IMO) "jokes" recently, and along with several other members, I chose to comment on that.

Just as you suggest, I don't usually bother myself, but IMO the "not at all funnies" have been exceeding the "funnies" recently .

5FBB6E81-0B2B-4222-9135-4EC57B2B538A.jpeg

Yup, you're correct Blacksanwood, at the very least "in principle". The reason for my negative reaction to several of the "jokes" above, it that there has been a rather large crop of "funny" (but actually not funny at all IMO) "jokes" recently, and along with several other members, I chose to comment on that.

Just as you suggest, I don't usually bother myself, but IMO the "not at all funnies" have been exceeding the "funnies" recently .

Perhaps there should be a separate 'meme' thread. They're perhaps not to everyone's liking, as it often lacks the usual punchline jokes have.
As a newer form of humor/ amusement the older members wouldn't have to wrap their minds around a 'newfangled' concept.

A jokes a joke, if you don't get it, it's not the end of the world. Bit like art, not everyone gets Picasso, so does that make it rubbish, no, just not within your bounds of appreciation and there's nothing wrong with that.
It's just like some people found Bernard Manning offensive, but still liked Chubby Brown.
If you don't like it fine but if I like it fine, please don't try and suppress stuff because you don't like it and I do, it's called freedom of choice, if that's decried then it's a road to Marxism.

If you think the above is not funny, that's your choice, but I think it's highly amusing on a satirical level.

😂😔🤬😡😔😂

It's not the "a newfangled concept" I have difficulty with it's the memes, cartoons, call them what you will - they are to me often impenetrable.
Everyone gets stumped from time to time. Sometimes it's something one can relate to, sometimes it's not.
I don't follow politics much, so the contemporary political jokes/ cartoons fly by me. No big deal.

I would remind everyone.
Analysing humour or a joke is like directing a frog nobody laughs or is interested and the frog dies.

Thanks to the late Barry Cryer and others.
Humour is not the same for everyone nor appreciated by all Bernard Manning taught us that.

Well thanks for your agreement Vann - "It'll be your turn too one day my boy"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry you couldn't see the video clip mate. It was only BJ acting (being????) the clown once again. You didn't miss much.
The jokes thread is ment to be light hearted and bring a smile to us all some may find one joke funny others not but if we all found the same things funny lifre would be boring, J ust post a joke and pass on if anybody dont get it its not the end of the world dont need a three page explanation .

I would remind everyone.
Analysing humour or a joke is like directing a frog nobody laughs or is interested and the frog dies.
...perhaps that should be "dissecting"?

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process."
E.B.White

Last edited:
I would remind everyone.

Humour is not the same for everyone nor appreciated by all Bernard Manning taught us that.
I think it was "dissecting". The quote is generally attributed to E.B. White. Not that I'm putting Barry Cryer down, he was a very funny man.

I would remind everyone.

Errrm, shouldn't that be 'dissecting'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back