Jointer Knives/blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
I was cleaning up some old 1" floorboards the other day and I ran them across the planer to square them up and get a nice finish, while feeding one of the boards I noticed a strange sound from the planer so I switched off and turned the board over to inspect it and found 3 wire staples hidden below the surface of the board which I removed.

I inspected the planer blades and noticed three very small nicks in the blades although really really small nicks they do make a difference to the finnish I have been getting.

Is there any way I can file out or hone out the nicks in situ ( I have oilstones and some very small diamond stones ) I don't really want to remove the blades as it took me absolutely hours to set them up

Time to invest in a metal detector :?:

You can buy honing stones that can be used on the blades in situe but they would take forever to remove enough metal to get rid of the nicks. Also by the time you have rubbed the nicks out the blades will need adjusting back upto height anyway.

I would plane up all of your old wood then take the blades out and get them resharpened, unless you have the right grinder & jigs this is not really a DIY job. May be worth buying a second pair so you have one in use and one being sharpened/ready to use.

Jason

Until you can get them re-sharpened you can move one blade slightly sideways so that all the nicks aren't in the same place. This wil give you a smooth surface again.

Sooty,

I have one of these which will help if the nicks are very small, but try Nick Ws tip if you can it does work. :D
And one of these to try and stop doing it again. :roll:

Thanks for the replies I will have to get a spare set of blades and a metal detector
Will try Nick Ws tip first

Ouch. I don't think you will be able to hone your way past the nicks and still have the three blades at the same height. I know what you mean about taking forever to get the blades adjusted, that's the worst part about my planer, next time I'm buying one with the carbide insert helix head.

Latest posts

Back