Joint maker pro.....good or bad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
Matthias Wandel just had a rant about this on Face Book. I'd never seen one before. I think it's clever and probably has a place for hobby-ists making small intricate stuff.

The video took a few seconds to start for me so bear with it.

EDIT: Just seen the price.....now looks silly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGW3YffYCQ

While it looks interesting, no doubt it will fail to sell. Doesn't look like you can fit a stacked dado blade on it :lol:

I wonder if we will see a wooden version from mathew this year ;)

Yes the price is a bit much, but so is a lot of the Bridge city stuff.

I'm anti gadgets as a rule but have to say it looks like a clever one, especially (perhaps only) for small intricate stuff as Graham says.
The idea of moving the workpiece rather than the tool gets less attractive the bigger it gets.

Strewth! I didn't notice the price. I thought £150 ish max. :roll:
What a waste of money!

carlb40":ufzf3hn4 said:
While it looks interesting, no doubt it will fail to sell. Doesn't look like you can fit a stacked dado blade on it :lol:

Only UK versions Carl, you can fit a dado head to the US version no problem :lol: :lol:

The point of Matthias's rant was that he was fed up of people asking him that question and if he could improve on it. He said there is already a better version available, it's called a table saw. =D>

Clever idea, although something tells me it's not a new one

Grayorm":3r484s6o said:
carlb40":3r484s6o said:

Only UK versions Carl, you can fit a dado head to the US version no problem :lol: :lol:

The point of Matthias's rant was that he was fed up of people asking him that question and if he could improve on it. He said there is already a better version available, it's called a table saw. =D>

Exactly! That's why Matthias built his contraption that features a band blade with wooden wheels. The predecessor to it (the metal wheeled and metal framed Bandsaw) was so much inferior. :roll:

MIGNAL":ugm0g59a said:
Grayorm":ugm0g59a said:
carlb40":ugm0g59a said:

Exactly! That's why Matthias built his contraption that features a band blade with wooden wheels. The predecessor to it (the metal wheeled and metal framed Bandsaw) was so much inferior. :roll:

=D> =D> Good point!!!

Initial reactions from a rather sleepy me...

Whats that black thing? oh... :oops:

Its a wood working aid for less able bodied people, great idea. =D>

(wakes up a bit) Oh you are ******* joking #-o

Have you ever seen the pictures of the stereotypical alien with big head, tiny skinny body with no muscle and just a couple of fingers on its hands??? yes folks that is the wood worker of the future, thanks to stuff like this.

On a less sour note - I'd imagine it wood be very handy for the box and minatures markets, but not at the ******* price. Now wheres the kettle...

I recall seeing a workshop device that was very similar to this years ago at a trade exhibition, but - for the life of me - can't recall the name, or who made it. I think it was very probably by "Hobbies" and intended for the model aeroplane maker's market.

What people spend their money on is their business, the only concern comes when newbies might think they need fancy kit to achieve decent results...they don't.

I've used a few Bridge City tools, and one or two, like this,

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/ ... ule-2.html

or this,

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/ ... maker.html

and even this,

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/ ... yment.html

I've found myself using over and over again.

But mostly they've been amusing novelties which detracted from the real task and ended up on Ebay!

This came up a year or so ago, and someone on these forums knocked up a home-made version using a Japanese saw blade. I remember thinking at the time that it might be a good system for cutting fret slots, with a bit of modification.

No skills":2ahy1hoa said:
Initial reactions from a rather sleepy me...

Whats that black thing? oh... :oops:

Its a wood working aid for less able bodied people, great idea. =D>

(wakes up a bit) Oh you are ******* joking #-o

Have you ever seen the pictures of the stereotypical alien with big head, tiny skinny body with no muscle and just a couple of fingers on its hands??? yes folks that is the wood worker of the future, thanks to stuff like this.

Lucky no-one can afford one then isn't it?

What is wrong with learning to use a hand-saw properly anyway... $2700 (so £1750) would buy you a hell of a lot of one to one tuition!

Jelly":1jlejuf0 said:
What is wrong with learning to use a hand-saw properly anyway... $2700 (so £1750) would buy you a hell of a lot of one to one tuition!

Too right, spend £100 on some saws and files - spend a couple of days with somebody learning to sharpen and cut with them - with the remaining 1500 odd go on holiday.

Latest posts

Back