Joint design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattty

Established Member
Reaction score
How would you construct this joint as a table frame?

cassina%20modern%20round%20la%20rotonda%20dining%20table.jpg

Welded steel pins with the legs slid over them :D

As you may have guessed, I struggle with joints at the best of times...

Boz

I've seen this done but I can't figure it out or find an example. I guess you'd find the answer among the plethora of clever Japanese joints.

Yetty":rszpq5ae said:
Would this be strong enough?
(maybe made stronger using double or wedged tenons)
Untitled3.jpg

Nice drawing.

This is how i think i would do it. Rather than the stud tenon though i think i would use a long loose tenon going through the joint and into the ends of the pieces. It could even be a thick dowel/broom handle. Keep the ideas coming though, there may well be a Japanese joint as whizzy said.

Well If it is a long dowel going through the halving-joint, then I would go for a length of Tufnol rod say 25mm diameter.

Where you would get that from these days I don't know. The other expensive alternative would be carbon fibre rod I suppose.

Just day-dreaming, but if the piece is going to be nice, and also expensive... Go the whole hog.

John :D

I have a 3D wooden puzzle with three long pieces in the centre that form the same shape. They are full length and the way that the pieces have notches cut out and the way that they are put together means that there is no gap. However I do not know how well it would stand up as a structural joint.

frugal":1bsmce5j said:
I have a 3D wooden puzzle with three long pieces in the centre that form the same shape. They are full length and the way that the pieces have notches cut out and the way that they are put together means that there is no gap. However I do not know how well it would stand up as a structural joint.
I'd love to see a picture of the shapes.

Back