Joining veneered sheets end to end?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

I have a project coming up to build a couple of runs of walnut veneered cabinets
I will be making them out of veneered mdf but one run is 6.7m and the other is 4.7m so there will be joints in the tops
What is the best way to joint them to make the joints as invisible as possible?
can I cut them with a router or will that just splinter the veneer?

Finger joints is the only way I know of that looks OK, PITA to cut by hand but can be done. If you have a lot to do might be worth seeing if you have a commercial veneering outfit near you that could do it on their machines.

I mean to join the mdf sheets end to end (pre veneered) so I would be joining end grain to end grain

I'm now thinking I might be better having a bread board end between the sheets to make a feature of the joints, because im sure as good as it may look when im done, as soon as it gets finished (lacquer or oil) they are just going to stand out

I agree, you can butt joint veneers end to end but it rarely looks good. If you have to do it then choose straight grained quarter sawn veneers rather than crown cut and flip each leaf end for end (imaging opening up the veneer pack like a "landscape format" concertina, so you can get an almost infinite run with the grain running continuously across each butt joint). I get good results trimming the ends of veneer packs by sandwiching the entire pack between two sheets of mdf and using a fine cross cut ATB blade in a panel saw.

The other way of veneering in very long runs is by a "staved" approach. You lay narrow veneers, 50-75mm wide, like you'd lay floorboards in a long hall way. Loads of work though!

Best approach IMO is to break the run as you suggest.

+1 to celebrating the joint with bb ends. Heres a 5m run on top of a dining room tall boy type cabinet I made with AWO. So appreciate not veneer but same difference in terms of appearance of the joints. Stuck a finished 1 or 2 in for good measure. Finish is Orange Oil.

Attachments

• bread board 1.jpg
    bread board 1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 70
  • bread board 2.jpg
    bread board 2.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 70
  • bread board 3.jpg
    bread board 3.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 68
  • bread board 4.jpg
    bread board 4.jpg