Jigsaws and their use...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong thread and don't take the hiss ok cos I'm asking these 'for a 'friend'(!)'

1 - Why does a jigsaw cut at an angle sometimes and not others no matter what type of blade?
2 - What is the little switch for the one with off, I, II & III?

David

YorkshireDave":1wfe9eei said:
Sorry if this is the wrong thread and don't take the hiss ok cos I'm asking these 'for a 'friend'(!)'

1 - Why does a jigsaw cut at an angle sometimes and not others no matter what type of blade?
2 - What is the little switch for the one with off, I, II & III?

David

1. Some jigsaws manufacturers claim their saws cut square with their blades but I've not found one that is perfect when cutting a curve in solid wood. In theory the more you spend on the saw and the blades the less the blades will wander but I think they all do to a greater or lesser extent. If you want accuracy, use a different tool.
2. Almost certainly pendulum action - off meaning that the blade just goes up and down III indicating that it swings back and forward quite a lot. For rough straight cut use three for smooth tight curves use off.

HTH,

Steve

The switch 1, 11, 111 is for whether you are right or left handed.
1 is right handed
11 is left handed
111 is for ambitextrous.

I suspect you have had it on the left handed setting when using your right hand hence the angled cut.

:wink:

The main problem with jigsaws is that the blade is unsupported for most of its length. The only jigsaws I've tried that cut straight are made by Festool and Mafell but they are very expensive. I do have a jigsaw that cuts well in thin material but when I need to guarantee an accurate cut I use a different tool.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Arr... Pendulous action, I remember it well!
Many thanks for the info. So WHY does the pend action matter (for my 'friend'...)?

A jigsaw cuts only on the up stroke. When the pendulum action is engaged, the blade swings back on the down stroke so that it's not rubbing on the wood. I find that mine works best without the pendulum action engaged.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Sorry to disagree Paul, there are down cutting blades for jigsaws. Although I agree the commonest cutting action is downwards. Combined with no-set these, down cutting blades, can give very clean edges, especially when the surface you are cutting is to be visible. My Makita is capable of cutting square, but that is not the machine, that is its use. Long unsupported blades tend to follow the path of least resistance when cutting, and will follow the grain. Forcing a cut will almost certainly result in a non-sqaure edge. However careful use and awareness of the forward motion will tend to give a squarer cut.

xy

xy I'm (sorry my 'friend') is now confused! Most of what I cut with a jigsaw is stuff like work tops which are chipboard with nothing like the grain of real timber. Why then in a medium such as chip board does the blessed thing wander all over no matter what blade and no matter how hard or gently one cuts?

Sorry for your 'friends' confusion Dave. Without seeing the technique or the machine it is difficult to be certain of a cause. Check these possibilities.

Is the sole plate tight and square to the blade?
Is the blade blunt (especially one side more than the other)?
Is the blade holding shaft loose in its guides?
That is side to side or twisting?
Is the blade tight in its holder?
Is the blade bent?
Does the chipboard have large inclusions, big bits of wood?
Is the sole being kept in contact with the chipboard surface during cutting?
Is there a backup roller to the blade? Is it correctly set?

Sorry if some of these seem trivial, or if they have already been checked, just trying to be thorough.

xy

xy mosian":1bjq87bx said:
Sorry for your 'friends' confusion Dave. Without seeing the technique or the machine it is difficult to be certain of a cause. Check these possibilities.

Is the sole plate tight and square to the blade? YES
Is the blade blunt (especially one side more than the other)? No Brand new.
Is the blade holding shaft loose in its guides? Good question but I've had it with two diff jigsaws both were Bosch (blue trade ones)
That is side to side or twisting?
Is the blade tight in its holder? Def.
Is the blade bent? No as ment'd they were new.
Does the chipboard have large inclusions, big bits of wood? No. Good quality work tops not B&Q rubbish.
Is the sole being kept in contact with the chipboard surface during cutting? Def.
Is there a backup roller to the blade? Is it correctly set? Yes. No idea how to test!

Sorry if some of these seem trivial, or if they have already been checked, just trying to be thorough.

OOO a conudnrum. I cannot say about the Bosch but the instructions for my jigsaw, Makita 4300BV, say " Set the roller about 1mm behind the blade. " Of course the slot in the roller needs to be in line with the back of the blade.
I'm at a loss as to what to suggest next. I used to cut masons mitre corners in kitchen worktops with mine, with no fettling required, so it should be possible to get good results.

Sorry I can't think of anything else. :(

xy

Back