Jigsaw buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first decent jigsaw and I thought I had narrowed my choice down to a couple of different models, namely the Bosch GST 150 BCE and the Bosch GST 135 BCE.
I'm aware the GST 135 is now a discontinued model but I've found one available for £125. The GST 150 can be bought for £120. So price wise, there's not much in it.
I'm aware the 135 has been replaced by the 140, but that's a lot more money and out of my price range, so that ones unfortunately not an option.
I've searched the forum archives again and again and have read many, many opinions on jigsaw choice, even a very similar question to mine. I thought I'd ask again in case there's any additional feedback, opinions, reviews, especially on the GST 150, of which I couldn't find that many user opinions of it. The trouble is I'm more undecided than when I started :oops: :roll:
Several people seem to rate the 135 very highly, whilst several others have had problems with it. I couldn't find the specifications on the 135, but would I be right in assuming that quality and feature wise, it wouldn't be that much different to the current GST 150, apart from the small difference in cutting size and the 135's precision control?
I can't seem to find that many reviews on the newer GST 150 model, so if anyone has any experience of that particular model, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts. As I would from any GST 135 owners.

If you had to choose between a Bosch GST135BCE, a Bosch GST150BCE and a Dewalt DW331K, which one would you choose?

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

I used to have the DW. Sorry I don't have any experience of the Bosch ones.

What I would say is that I didn't get on with DW. I found it very hard to cut to a line and to cut square through the material.

I've since got a Festool 420 EBQ with the body grip, and I find this one much, much easier to get good results.

I don't think this is due to the more expensive Festool saw. I think it's the difference between the D handled DW and the bodygrip Festool, which, for me, gives much better control.

If you can find the specs on the 135 and compare them all. See if there are any added features you need/want. Then go with that.
I myself have a bosch gst85, which i bought from a mate about 15yrs ago and is still going strong now. :)

I have the GST 135 and would unheistatingly recomend it. The blade guides realy do seem to make a difference. With a good quality clean cut blade I can make accurate cuts in 1 1/4" oak with realy good finish and a completely square cut. The tooless blade clamp and bevek setting both ork very well.

If I had to find negatives I would say that the saw is heavy (a proct of the heavy duty gearbox and motor) but I actully perfer the weight as it keeeps the saw down and the clamp guides can make a little smell as they burn the paint off the saw blades.

The only thing I would add if I could have anything is a work light.

I have put the saw though some pretty heavy tasks nearly alwayson oak and it has dine everything I have asked of it.

James

A couple of years back I was lucky enough to get the 150 free from Bosch to test out and keep. At first I was impressed but after a few months I realized it wasn't as good as I had first thought. The 135 is the best in your list.

I've now got the festool trion if you can stretch your budget get one. There's also a festool road show touring the UK right now and if you visit the show they are giving out £50 off vouchers plus most dealers are discounting on top of that.

I have the 135 and think it is excellent. Not tried the DW, but I have tried the Festool and prefer the Bosch. The Bosch blades are excellent too. No qualms at all about recommending it.
S

I've has a 135 for a while and it is the best I've had - the blade guide mechanism keeps the cut at right angles where other jigsaws ended up with an angled cut. It is certainly solid and heavy but does its job very well. I would buy another if the need ever arose.

Misterfish

The gst150 is a poor machine for a Bosch. The older machines were more accurate

Matt

Thanks for the advice so far. The 135 is looking like the better choice.

If anyone else has any experience with these models, it'll be great hearing your opinions also.

Latest posts

Back