Jig saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solicitus

Established Member
Reaction score
I would welcome any recommendations from experience for a decent corded jigsaw - ceiling price approx £200. I need to replace my dewalt which I've killed. Not really interested in cordless stuff. Any suggestions ?

have both types of grip jig saw....
I prefer the D handle sort.....
u cant go wrong with Makita or Hitachi.....
not sure of the name but Makita do a cheaper range in RED, almost as good as the blue ones....

The GST 150 from Bosch is one of the most accurate jigsaws for precision work.
The D handle as Clogs says are great for control and maneuverability.

It all comes down to your specific needs.

Without getting into Mafell levels of cost,I don't believe you will do better than a Bosch.I particularly like the spring loaded blade ejection system that means you don't burn your fingers when changing a worn out blade.The fact that you could buy a few top line Bosch saws for the cost of a single Mafell means that you will be left with sufficient funds to indulge in other workshop additions.It is worth picking up a few different saws physically if you can as they may feel different,for instance,I had an AEG in the late 90's that was market leading in terms of cutting depth but which felt very "tall" and with my hand a long way above the job.These things make a difference;my current saw cuts beautifully but the quick blade change system can get very sticky if not used for a while.It's replacement will be a Bosch.

Until I had the chance to trade up to a really clean used Mafell jigsaw recently I owned a bosch GST60PBE D handle type for decades. Bosch were market leaders in jigsws for a long time and would be my first place to look.
I'd also keep eyes open for a good used Metabo jigsaw. I haven't handled one, but their older corded tools are very well built just like the older Bosch stuff made in Germany and Switzerland. Metabo's STE 140 / STEB140 plus quick model has good specs for power, quick change and constant speed under load electronics so might be worth reading up on that and it's predecessors

https://www.festoolownersgroup.com/...rform extremely,bow handled variant would be.
(and interesting that Festool jigsaws get such bad press on their own Owners Group )

Last edited:
I don't use them like that but body grip's supposed to be easier if you use the jigsaw from below the surface - to minimise breakout on the top surface and follow a line ?

I have a Makita 4350 corded D handle. I absolutely can't fault it . It feels rock solid and about twice as heavy as my old Hitchi. A jigsaw is one tool where weight is an advantage so check the specs before buying.

I've been pondering the same question. My priority is to find a jigsaw and blade combo which delivers the cleanest cut, top and bottom, if that's possible. The following article may be of some use to you (the emphasis is on cordless, but it gives some useful insights into their use and the anatomy of jigsaws generally): Cordless Jigsaws

Thanks to everyone for the input. Going to take a chance on the Bosch GST150. I see it comes either with a D handle or in a barrel style so I'll need to have a think which might suit me best. Probably the D handle, as I'm used to having a trigger switch. Screwfix seem to be cheapest atm.

I have a Makita 4350 corded D handle. I absolutely can't fault it . It feels rock solid and about twice as heavy as my old Hitchi. A jigsaw is one tool where weight is an advantage so check the specs before buying.
Me too. Coupled with a down cutting zero clearance blade it give great results on straight lines. I particularly like being able to lean forwards and watch the cut, that is the blade entering the material. Essential, in my head, for following a line.
geoff

I would welcome any recommendations from experience for a decent corded jigsaw - ceiling price approx £200. I need to replace my dewalt which I've killed. Not really interested in cordless stuff. Any suggestions ?
Hi buddy, I'm new on this board, not that new in carpentry -joinery game (25+ years) and have had at least x6 jigsaws, now down to x2
I understand you got your budget set at sensible mark, so as I used to do, meaning bought the best of the common range of what I knew off at the time and each time ended up disappointed, so much so, that rarely used or avoided using them all together, if possible.
I still have PCR made Metabo, used all sorts, including Carvex by FestT- all the same wobbly, until very recently acquired Mafell P1cc- damn and blast! Wish I never had none, just gone and got this one and I expect it to have lasted me my lifetime. Whilst dear (I paid £360, RRP £420) but that is the only jigsaw, that works as it should, all the rest will be of "limited use". Not saying- go and buy it now, but do check youtube videos, if your budget can potentially stretch that much, but if you'll get it, you'll be looking for the tasks- things to cut it with.

Is a Mafell as good as people say is it work getting a good second hand one !
I have a Mafell Plunge saw and love it!
Good luck in finding second hand Mafell tools, that wouldn't be stolen or broken or whatever else
Once one- anyone (including me) get's their hands on any, they never sell them, like other "discardable" brands tools...

Back