Jewellery Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gav

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally finished my first project using hardwoods (except turning work) after some months and several distractions of other non-woodworking projects.

I can't take any credit for the design which I found in a copy of "The Woodworker"

Its in maple and purpleheart and finished with danish oil. Hanging knobs turned from zebrano.

The LOML seems to like it but she did ask when I was going to fill it for her :lol: .

jcab1.jpg

jcab2.jpg

Gav

I'd like one of those even if was empty, Gav :) . Half the fun is filling them up.

Incidentally, is purpleheart easy to come by, and does it retain its colour?

Gill

IIRC, Purpleheart will fade overtime and become a more reddish brown colour rather than striking purple.

Great job by the way!! I have the issue that box is featured in and often thought about starting one for a xmas present for SWMBO. How many hours would you say you put in to that?

ByronBlack":1b4cq4cn said:
IIRC, Purpleheart will fade overtime and become a more reddish brown colour rather than striking purple.
My experience to date, which is minimal, is that purpleheart if left in direct sunlight takes on an even more vivid colour though it does seem to fade away again. Odd really, praps I should get some new eyes.

Mike

mr":3pqv9zmr said:
ByronBlack":3pqv9zmr said:
My experience to date, which is minimal, is that purpleheart if left in direct sunlight takes on an even more vivid colour though it does seem to fade away again. Odd really, praps I should get some new eyes.

Mike

MIke

my knowledge only comes from what i've read so i'm sure you right, although saying that I was reading about exotic woods and they did mention that it's possibe to bring back the colour with either sunlight or lack of sunlight and a slight sanding back to expose new wood, perhaps it's a similar thing.

ByronBlack":8fep6pue said:
MIke

my knowledge only comes from what i've read so i'm sure you right, although saying that I was reading about exotic woods and they did mention that it's possibe to bring back the colour with either sunlight or lack of sunlight and a slight sanding back to expose new wood, perhaps it's a similar thing.

As I say my experience with purpleheart is minimal, Ive only used it once for a chopping block which is unfinished - as in no finish applied :)
It sits on the top in direct sunlight and it does seem that the colour gets more vivid though there are days when it appears duller. This may just be an effect of the light though. I would expect it to darken over time but like I say that doesnt seem to be the case so far.

Very nice jewellery case by the way

Mike

Thanks for the nice comments.

I haven't yet worked out what makes purpleheart keeps it colour. I've used it a few times in turning, this is my first project with boards.

On the turning projects some have kept the colour well and some not. I'm not sure if this is related to light and/or the use of finishes. A bowl failure I use in the workshop for odds and ends is still vibrant coloured after many months but has no finish applied and the workshop although light isn't particular bright sunlight. I've used both oil and wax finishes but both have varied. Would be nice to know the best combination.

Gill asked about availability. It seems readily available in turning blanks in lots of stores but not seen it so often in board form. I got the boards for this project from Yandles when I was down that way.

Gav

Hi Gav

I like the box. You've made a really good job of it. Which month/year Woodworker mag did it come from. I've been looking for a design, need to make one for my daughter's birthday.

Paul

Hello Gav,

I have just stumbled across this thread and was presently suprised that someone has made a jewellery chest that I designed which was published in the woodworker magazine a few years ago, nice woods Gav, you have made a nice job of it too.

There is a part to this box that has never been seen before and I assume that you (Gav) made both the verticle drawers the same (as in the article) (necklae hangers).

Well here are the pictures I did not send to the magazine......the earing draw!!!!!

JewelleryBox3.jpg

DSCF0227.jpg

Hi Pete

It would be good if you could post the whole project in a seperate thread, it is most definitely a superb cabinet made with an unusual timber :wink:

Pete,

I really enjoyed making this and its nice to hear from the original designer.

I did make it with 2 hanging side drawers but the earring drawer version does provide more flexibility.

Gav

Back