Jewellery box commission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Sewell

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just finished this jewellery box commission which I thought someone might like to see. In oak with burr oak lid panels and drawer fronts, joinery is my usual handcut dovetails. I used sliding dovetail housing joints for all the interior partitions for the first time which was a bit fiddly but worked well. Had to be painstakingly accurate especially with the top tray which has 40 compartments.
Phil.

Attachments

• oak-box7.gif
    oak-box7.gif
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,611
  • oak-box6.gif
    oak-box6.gif
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,611
  • oak-box5.gif
    oak-box5.gif
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,612
  • oak-box4.gif
    oak-box4.gif
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,612
  • oak-box3.gif
    oak-box3.gif
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,612
  • oak-box2.gif
    oak-box2.gif
    151.9 KB · Views: 1,612
  • oak-box1.gif
    oak-box1.gif
    135 KB · Views: 1,612
Gobsmacking! I'm never going to be producing anything like that but i can see it is a goldmine of experience and techniques i could learn from, wish this one was a WIP! I know i'm being greedy and i realise a WIP would be an lot of work on a piece like this but still, i would love a few more clues :)

Thanks for posting, Dean

Thanks for the kind words, it was quite a challenging box to make. Overall dimensions were approx 360mm x 240mm, 260mm high (off the top of my head, plan is in the workshop). Sorry I don't have any more images, it's all boxed up ready to go and setting up the camera equipment takes a long time.

As I'm trying to make a living I can't really afford the time to go through all the processes involved for a WIP unfortunately, sorry about that!
Phil.

Phil, I have just spent a fascinating hour browsing your web site. What a delight, a complete guide to making superb boxes, well how an expert makes them anyway. Thank you for creating the site and passing on all that information. If anyone is wishing to make a high quality box, but is unsure how to proceed, I would think all required information is there.
xy

I've just done exactly the same.

Your method of putting a groove in a curved peice is pf particular interest. I'm quite jealous of your workbench as well.

Ahhh, i blame the roast dinner that was put in front of me! Since then it's been apple crumble and custard with lots of note taking! Thank-you :D

Phil. I have to say that the box is absolutely fabulous. I have been to your site many times and have always been taken by the quality of the boxes you make (I have even pinched an idea or two).

Bob

Thanks Ian, all comments have been very positive which is great. The customers came up from London yesterday to pick it up, I always get nervous that they are not going to like it but it went down well which was a big relief. I'll post the next commission when it's finished, you know what it is already Ian!

Phil.

Back