Jet JTS-250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been reading up for a while on which tablesaw to buy for my new workshop. The new workshop (and house) should be ready in about a month, so I'm seriously looking to buy in the next few weeks. My workshop is only a single garage (10' x 18') so a sliding table is out of the question - or so i thought.

My budget, and the write ups that i've read, led me to the SIP 10" saw, but I found out last week that SIP also make a 12" saw, what's this like??

Now to the real question - I popped into Timberman in Carmarthen yesterday, and he had just been offered an ex-demo Jet JTS-250 yesterday morning for £850. My understanding is that the Jet is on another level from the SIP offerings, and it has an in-built sliding table. I understand that the sliding table will need a little space to operate, but that's what rolling bases are for.

What do you people think?
Should I stretch my budget?

Any views will be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance

Aled

Yes . the jet with legs was cheaper the latest is fully panelled its a good table saw and i do not think you will have to move it very far to use the table.

I'd got for the Jet. The jet machines I have are really well built and solid.

Adam

Hi Aled

No experience of the Sip but the Jet was my first table saw (and incidently bought from Timberman who are a mere 3 miles from me).

Unfortunately I don't have it anymore or you could have come and played but I have a lot of other Jet kit and it's all good quality stuff. The saw would be a good choice. The sliding table does not take up too much room and the wheels just add some flexibility to be able to move it around.

Jeff

If Newbie_Neil comes along by here, he'll tell you it is superb. I've used it and it's certainly a lot of saw for the money, and you are being offered an attractive price, so in your shoes, I'd take it.

When I was looking at saws recently, I did consider the Jet (I have two other Jet machines, both of which I am very happy with). In the end though, I approached Woodford rather than Jet, because of a couple of long-term reviews that I found) and now have an Xcalibur sitting in my workshop (but see my signature! :))

The truth is that there is no perfect tablesaw in the UK, probably not in the world. It is my opinion that the X is better built than the Jet, even though it doesn't look as pretty. The drive is triple belt, the castings are substantial, the wings are flush with the main table, which is as flat as I can measure it.

I helped Neil assemble his Jet and the extensions did not lie totally flush, and as I say, there are some less-than-glowing long-term reviews around.

But the Jet has some useful features like being able to position the switch wherever you like (or so I believe). The Jet blade guard is a bit better, but that's not difficult. Neither is excellent in that respect. The X is essentially an American saw, and they are as gung-ho with tablesaw safety as.... oops, nearly. It's strange that such a litigious society, where companies get sued because some silly person spilled hot coffee on themselves tolerates the lack of available safety features. I think it was Scrit who said recently that the US is in the Stone Age in that respect, and I agree with him. However, that's another thread.

If you buy the Jet with ST for £850, I reckon you are getting a jolly good saw. Bite their hands off.

Hi Aled

I've got this saw and I'm really happy with it.

Do check that the table is flat. After I had been using my first one for about six months I noticed that the table to the left of the blade had moved so that there was a definite bend from front to back with the highest point in the middle being about 1mm higher than the front and back. I'm sure I checked it when I first had it but I'm beginning to doubt myself now.

Aminister replaced the saw and the new one also had the same fault. In the end I found that the top had been force fitted onto the case. I opened up one of the fixing holes and the top sprung back to perfectly flat. No problems since.

I had to use shims cut from a cola can to get the right hand table flush with the main table. No big deal really.

The fence is concave across the face and Axminister are replacing it.

It seems that these things do need checking. May be I had bad luck or may be this is to be expected. I must say that Axminster were great about everything.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Hello Aled,
I have the Jet supersaw and had none of the problems associated with a flat table at all. The fence was slightly bowed but I mean slightly. In fact, when ripping, the quality of paralell cut was perfect and the fence being as it is made no difference at all. When people tell you which saw to go for, it will probably be the one that they have and give a bad write up on the other ones that they were going to buy. If i'm honest, i'm guilty as well but on this occasion I can definitly recommend this saw and not just because i've got one. Jeff (aka mdotflorida) gave me his arbor when he changed his which is from the American version so that I could use a dado blade with it and I have to say that any fears of a 1+3/4hp motor not being enough was totally quashed when it sailed through a 19mm rebate in hard oak with ease.
If it's on offer for £850 then go for it and if you turn out to be disapointed then you can blame me.
cheers,
jon.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've decided to go for the JET - should have it in 2 - 3 weeks, that is, if my workshop is ready.

Can anyone tell me the size of the cabinet base, as I'm thinking of making the mobile base out of 2"x1" steel box section.

Also, where can I get hold of some wheels - just plain nylon wheels (about 2"dia), possibly with a bearing fitted?

Thanks
Aled

Aled,
I've got the older model with legs but i'm almost certain the two will be the same dimentions and i've got the mobile base set at 30inches wide and 28inches deep, that is a really good tight fit so if you had a base at 31inches wide and 29 or 30inches deep, i'm sure that will be fine.

cheers,
jon.

Aled,
I've got the older model with legs but i'm almost certain the two will be the same dimentions and i've got the mobile base set at 30inches wide and 28inches deep, that is a really good tight fit so if you had a base at 31inches wide and 29 or 30inches deep, i'm sure that will be fine.

cheers,
jon.

Aled,

cheers,
jon.

Oh Aled i've just remembered, the newer full cabinet model doesn't have the iron feet fitted so you may well be better asking someone with that version to tell you the size.
And I dont know why it's printed the last message three times either!!!!
cheers,
jon.

Hi Aled

A bit late I know but I have the older 250S with the legs and it's been great. Had it a couple of years now and I love it.

No problems with my tables other than a slight dip on the rear left corner of the main table (of the order of 0.2mm over an area about 50mm x 50mm). Remainder of the main table is flat. The Right table lined up perfectly and is dead flat. The fence has a bow in the length that is so small it's not even worth trying to measure.

Hope you enjoy it

Cheers

The model with a cabinet is 25"by 23". Axminster do good wheels to make mobile bases. These saws are heavy so if you're going to contruct a base make it sturdy! Over engineer it as they say.

Cheers, Ted

Thanks Ted

Just so I don't make a balls up, can you confirm that its 25" wide by 23"deep, or the other way around.

Can't wait !!!

P.S.
I worked in the steel works at Port Talbot for a year during my University days, so "over engineering" is an inherrent part of me. :wink:

Looking at it as if you were going to cut a piece of wood, it's 25 wide (from left to right) and 23 deep. I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision as it is a lovely saw.

Cheers, Ted

Hi Ted

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping you're still on here. I have had this bowed problem since I got the saw. When you say you shimmed it up, would you mind explaining exactly what you did and how I can do it.

Thanks

Tony

lucky9cat":3n7jqm9s said:
Hi Aled

I've got this saw and I'm really happy with it.

Do check that the table is flat. After I had been using my first one for about six months I noticed that the table to the left of the blade had moved so that there was a definite bend from front to back with the highest point in the middle being about 1mm higher than the front and back. I'm sure I checked it when I first had it but I'm beginning to doubt myself now.

Aminister replaced the saw and the new one also had the same fault. In the end I found that the top had been force fitted onto the case. I opened up one of the fixing holes and the top sprung back to perfectly flat. No problems since.

I had to use shims cut from a cola can to get the right hand table flush with the main table. No big deal really.

The fence is concave across the face and Axminister are replacing it.

It seems that these things do need checking. May be I had bad luck or may be this is to be expected. I must say that Axminster were great about everything.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Back